Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Need Help!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!

Hi All,

I am writing to ask you for your help because I respect your combined amount of experience and knowledge with Ford Trucks.

I bought a 2007 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 4x4, Lariat, 4-speed auto., with about 24,000 miles on it about 3 months ago from my local CarMax along with the big warranty.

When driving it shudders between 45-65 mph, worst at 56-58, at any RPMs. Put new Michelin MS2 tires on it all around and had them spin balanced and then even went back to tire shop and had them remount them and re-spin balance them. Tires and balance are great but didn't solve problem.

Read on forum about 5.4 and RPM vibration at 1100, 2200 but this not it, because it shudders at any other RPM at the mentioned speeds as well. (Though I notice this slightly during warm-up, etc.)

Once vibration starts, sometimes I have it all the way down as I brake until stopping.

Ford dealer here told CarMax about TSB for dampening kit...that sounds like a roofer telling someone with a roof leak to get a pair of rubber boots! I want to have what is causing the problem fixed!

It will shudder on the smoothest of roads at these speeds, whether fast acceleration or slow. Also at the 56-58 mph speed if held steady, it will make sort of a heavy, dull, sort of pulsing noise.

When I experience this shudder and already in overdrive, if I push the overdrive override button which then kicks it down into 3rd gear, it still shudders, just at a faster frequency. When I push it again I still feel it but at a slower frequency.

I am afraid they are going to say "You just got one of those and it meets company specs and there is nothing we can do" answers.

Looking on this forum I have seen some discussions about something like this but haven't heard of concrete answers ...anyone found one yet. I am very open to any and all suggestions. What do you think? Please help!

Thank you for taking your time to read this and for any help you can offer.

Thank you!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

. Welcome to F150forum.come ..Lots of good guys and info here... Be sure to post some pictures

if you go down the road... put it in nutreal.... shut the truck off while its rolling..... does it still do it.... if its still vibrating that tell you its something in the tires... front end ... or rear end or drive shaft.... if it stops... its somehting in the engine or even the trans....

couse be a bad harmonic balancer... or a bad flywheel

Search this Thread