Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Hi all from theLurker

Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Hi all from theLurker

Hi there folks! Using the proceeds of a rear endo on my 2010 FX4, I went in and bought my very first new vehicle ever; a 2015 Lariat F-150 with the big ecoboost. My warranty can not come off fast enough for as soon as it does that ecoboost is getting bumped up!

I've been lurking on this and a couple other ford truck forums since I was 16 driving an old work F250 as my daily. I used info gleaned from here and many other sites to upgrade stereos and install carputer mods. I broke down and signed up here because I can tell I will be upgrading this 2015 with the help of buyers of the 16/17 and up models this time I will be able to say thanks for the info.

The Plan so far

Step 0 - Rims and tires: First things first, I already swapped my rims and tires from the old truck to the new one. 20" Monster XD's with 35mm offset on 305/55R20 Nitto grapplers. These fit better than on my old one which needed a level kit. The 2015 4x4 can fit these tires and rims, just barely, with no rub. My flip bak g2 fit perfectly as well the salesman said it would not.

Step 1 - Infotainment: From what I can tell my Sync 2 system uses a lot of digital enhancements ( ie: fake V8 noises, nav voice, poor digital eq) and it ruins the sound quality. My Sync 1 system sounded much better, both were billed as 700w Sony systems, both have subs. Although the 2015 puts the sub and amps in behind rear seat which allows us to have a totally flat back floor worth the trade off imho. Maybe XLT kicker upgrade will fix, will look into Sync 3 upgrade. It makes me mad ford doesn't include an off switch for fake v8 noise.

Step 2 - Wait for warranty to run out. My last truck had no warranty and I started modding it right away so this step might be the hardest.

Step 3 - Mech: Gotta try the usual, intake, chip and exhaust. New offerings from aFE like upgraded inter-cooler and inter-cooler plumbing and turbo back, or down pipes, look interesting. Nothing here worth doing until the motor is at least broken in. FWIW I am getting 19 L/100km (12mpg) my 5.4 was getting 15-16 in 4x4 on icy/snowy roads so either this engine smartens up and gets better over the next 10000km or I'd start doing stupid stuff before step 2. First tank got me 630km

Step 4 - Blow up transmission: Sounds like the most common problem with modded ecoboost are blown transmissions. So I will keep the truck as my daily until the tranny goes, maybe get into some aggressive tow and 4x4 tests. Once the transmission bites it attempt to swap it to whatever 8 or 10 speed transmission they have at the time. As for the transfer case it's pretty sweet. My 2010 had the e-diff but now I have a 2WD rear lock and 4A not to mention pitch, roll, yaw, stearing angle and power transfer gauges all programmable into the dash computer.

I'm from Canada eh! So that scale is in kilograms. With rims tires and gear the probably totals ~80 more kg and 1/3 a tank in fuel.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 229 Likes on 229 Posts

Welcome!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Welcome to the F150 forum! Great to have you join!

Search this Thread