Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Hello to all forum members.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Feeling my way through

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello to all forum members.

Hello to all forum members.
My background is computers but I have done many jobs in my life including running various equipment (usually loading trucks) and driving truck for twenty years. I had a radio install and repair business for a few years, I did a lot of car/truck repairs myself and have; rebuilt engines, changed about ten transmissions, did several engine installs, brakes, u-joints, and almost anything that happened to break I could replace or repair.
I currently upgrade and repair computers as well as install and teach linux to new users.
Most of my mechanical knowledge is acquired a bit at a time from other mechanics, Haynes manuals and online searches. Started doing my own repairs back in 1976.
I have just gotten my hands on a 1989 f150 2 wheel drive. It has all new wheel bearings, new steady bearing, new universal joints and the body is not too bad either. I'm in the middle of trading a great running 1988 toyota corolla for the f150 with my brother. I need a truck.
Problem is the truck won't idle at all. Pretty sure it's the tps and bro has a new one to put in as well as a new egr valve too. It starts and idles up for a sec or 2 then the check engine light comes on and it wants to stall if you don't give it a bit of throttle.
I'm going to change the oil and filter, fuel filter and the air filter. The plugs and wires might need changing too.
Then I'm going to look through the forum's posts and see what all else I can find about the f150. I imagine all my questions have already been asked and answered so I will look there first before I post any real questions. I did see some helpful posts before I joined up about how to change the tps which is nice when you've never done one before. Seems pretty simple tho so it should be no problem. It's a two wheel drive extra cab long box 302 v-8 4 speed standard with overdrive. It should be good (I hope). Gotta go do some work . See ya
Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Driver carries no money.

Welcome to the show!!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the site, it sounds like you got a good handle on things already, but you will have to get us some pictures of course.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site! Always glad to see the older model year trucks on the site.

Would recommend to get the codes read before changing out parts. Can save a lot of time, labor, money, and frustration.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Feeling my way through

Originally Posted by wde3477
Welcome to the site! Always glad to see the older model year trucks on the site.

Would recommend to get the codes read before changing out parts. Can save a lot of time, labor, money, and frustration.
I can vouch for that having tried to fix without the codes more than once. Costly lesson all right. Now if there's a computer in the vehicle it pays to have the error codes read and I do. My f150 codes said tps was out of range and the egr. I noticed a small rad leak and my brother bought me a brand new rad too so we have the tps, egr and a new rad to put in on sunday. Not to mention change the oil and sparkplugs.
All should be fine by the time we get all the new parts in. I'll post back as to how it runs and all that. My last ford pickup was actually a '62 Mercury half ton stepside pickup, 4 speed and a 289. It was a good truck.
I think this is a great site. Thanks all for the welcome.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Glad to see another believer in the power of computer diagnostics! I always cringe when I read posts about 'what would it take to go back to distributor points and carburetors??'. The computer is good about telling you what 'hurts', but sometimes it may take a little creative thinking to understand what really needs to be fixed.

Just an additional note - without knowing the exact EGR code thrown, keep in mind that in addition to the EGR valve operation proper, there is a position sensor on top of the valve, as well as the control solenoid located on the driver-side rear portion of the intake manifold (just follow the vacuum line off the valve) that could be contributing to the EGR fault.

I mention this because of a fault I had which eventually traced to a problem with the control solenoid - there was a small foam air filter of sorts inside this solenoid that had plugged. It probably could have been replaced with the proper caring hands, but ol' klutzo here broke the doggone thing beyond repair and ended up buying a new one from Ford - about $30.

As for the position sensor, if it is determined to be faulty, be sure to get the right color - there were a couple of different sensors used for our model years.

Quick Reply: Hello to all forum members.