Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Zaino vs Jet Seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default Zaino vs Jet Seal

I have been using Zaino for going on 20 years now. Very good product, but labor intensive due to the number of applications and steps involved to get the "Perfect" finish.

So looking at alternatives that can get the same finish as Zaino without all the steps because frankly, I'm getting too old for this s**t.

Step one, Wash the truck/car well.
Step two, mix up a bottle of lubricant, water and a squirt or two of Dawn to degrease/dewax the surface. Just enough for a light tint, but not enough to foam or create suds with.
Step 3, clay bar entire vehicle using the Dawn solution.
Step 4, rewash vehicle and rinse well.
Step 5, dry that sucker good with a leaf blower and/or compressed air to get the water out of the crooks and nannies.

The above steps are mandatory regardless of what is applied. Nothing can get around that.

So here are the steps I would like to trim down. Provided of course that the paint doesn't need buffing, or corrections.

Step 1, Apply first coat of ZFX mixed Z5. Let dry
Step 2, polish car with soft Terry cloth or GOOD microfiber, cheap ones have been found to cause scratches.
Step 3, apply misting wipe down with Z6, polish well.
Step 4, apply second coat of Z5, Let dry
Step 5, polish car with soft Terry cloth or GOOD microfiber, cheap ones have been found to cause scratches.
Step 6, apply misting wipe down with Z6, polish well.
Step 7, let car/truck sit overnight in garage.
Step 8, wipe car/truck down with California duster to remove dust that settles overnight.
Step 8, apply first coat of Z2 with ZFX, let dry
Step 9, polish car with soft Terry cloth or GOOD microfiber, cheap ones have been found to cause scratches.
Step 10, apply misting wipe down with Z6, polish well.
Step 11, apply second coat of Z2 with ZFX, let dry
Step 12, polish car with soft Terry cloth or GOOD microfiber, cheap ones have been found to cause scratches.
Step 13, apply Clear Seal, wipe well, polish, polish and polish some more until all Clear Seal has been wiped and surface shines.
Step 14, Apply final wipe down of Grand Finale.

I have done this process so many times I can do it in my sleep, but as you can see, it is a 2 day process, but the end results is a finish that looks Awesome and lasts for well over a year with just normal washes. I have not used any wax at all, and just an occasional wipe down of Z6 to keep the finish up.

My last truck I changed it up a bit after discovering Chemical Guys Black Light. I bought a few items from them a couple years back when I had a couple Tuxedo Black vehicles, and mixed the Black Light application in between coats of Z2, and replace the Z6 with their V7. The end result was an amazing finish, that made the paint sparkle, and also lasted a very long time. The other thing I did change up a little was I used Meguiars Pro paste wax on the tailgate since it gets the most abuse from road grime, and it held up well.

Now I have a Ruby Red, and want to do the same treatment, but without so many steps. How well does Jet Seal compare to a good Zaino application? What steps can I eliminate in the polishing phase?

Here is my truck about 14 months after the application, with just washes. Disregard the front fender, it was replaced after hitting a deer and htey body shop did a terrible job polishing the paint. Never did get it corrected, and now the fender is about the size of a phone book.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 155 Likes on 76 Posts

I just bought my truck, used Zaino on my Acura TL for 12 years, its awesome stuff but, its a pain in the butt. I was wondering the same as you, I was about to order more Zanio for the truck.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to love Zaino. Hell I even distributed for a while. Zaino holds a some crazy similarities with Duragloss. I dont know it yall have a zaino dealer here so I will leave it at that.

Try Collinite 845 or Menzerna Powerlock or HD Poxy.

You could also try the duragloss 105/601 combo as its a great hybrid but has a super short shelf life (as in only make what you are going to use. I have used most of the sealants on the market and these have been my favorite.

Jetseal is meg TBH
Old 10-16-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I used Zaino briefly....switched over to Adams Polishes several years ago, and never looked back..LOL....
Old 10-18-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Was a Zaino guy but went over to Duragloss, which I think is the same thing only half the price and easier to take off.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I use products from Griots Garage. Lately I’ve been using stuff called Liquid Gloss Poly Wax.

Clay Bar? Maybe only if the paint is rough, which it usually is.

Two coats of wax? What exactly does the second coat do? Who promotes the idea of multiple coats? The people who sell the stuff of course. I use a power buffer and it makes it quicker and does a better job.

You talk to a lot of paint and body guys and they don’t believe in wax. A mild polish will do. The idea of this magic coating to protect the paint is hogwash. I’m not sure I agree with that 100% but most of the affect of waxing is just getting the paint really clean.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I don't use wax, have not used wax other than to test Collonite or whatever it's called, and it does not compare to the polish. There is a huge difference between a wax, which is just a protective layer on top of the paint, and a polish/sealant that bonds to the paint. Zaino is one of those, and each subsequent layer bonds to the previous layer, further enhancing the properties, and why so many layers of different product is applied. It adds optical properties to enhance metallics and depth. And they are easy to apply, take very little product, and don't leave a residue on plastics.

I have since discovered that a single coat of their All In One (AIO) does a decent job of protecting, and enhancing the paint. It puts a super slick surface on that lasts at least a year, far longer than any wax, which once it loses it's gloss needs to be removed, or you just wind up adding a layer on top, and eventually the finish dulls, and then you need to strip the paint with a wax remover to get back to the original clear layer.

My next thing I want to try are the Ceramic coats, after seeing how dirt, mud, water and paints just slide right off. Those are good for at least 2 years or more. It supposedly adds durability to the paint to resist chips and scratches too.

This is what one coat of Black light, which it a paint enhancer for dark colors, and one coat of AIO, both of which took an hour to apply start to finish, need to wait 15 before removing, and 30 before the next coat.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I used Zaino for a couple of years. (2001-3?) Have tried more than I can remember since including the miracle juice, Collinite which IMO is highly over rated.

If you're looking for a great Sealant try this.
Amazon Amazon
, washed and lightly clayed the car and then applied two coats. Easiest application ever. This stuff just plain works. Notice the 5 star feedback...Ended up following it up with the Hybrid spray which I apply once a month. Easy as dusting your car.

I'll probably strip everything down every couple of years (maybe) and start over but at this point I'm not sure that will be necessary. I have never been 100% satisfied with my paint protection until now. Between ease of use and results I've found nirvana.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm sorry, you are just buying into Zaino's marketing. I'm not saying its bad stuff, I have three bottles of it myself, I just don't believe all the hype on multiple coats.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeman1
I'm sorry, you are just buying into Zaino's marketing. I'm not saying its bad stuff, I have three bottles of it myself, I just don't believe all the hype on multiple coats.
Who are you talking to?

My review has nothing to do with Zaino except that I have found something better.

You're also entitled to believe whatever you want. My beliefs and research are not the same as yours.