Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

What protectant for black panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default What protectant for black panels

I have owned a couple of vehicles with these black panels on them and never really understood how to keep them from fading... Other surfaces are pretty straight forward: Paint gets wax, vinyl gets Armor All, got it.

I refer to the black panels behind the front windows on F150s as well as the black panels near the back windows of older exploders and rangers.

Do you wax these, or Armor All them, I have no clue. My ranger had some of this black panel on the rear sliding window but after 14 years of sun it cracked, faded, and started disintegrating. I had Armor Alled it but every time it seemed like i was dissolving the material as it would stain the rag I was applying it with.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. If this has been discussed previously, I apologize for not finding the thread. I just want my current ride to stay looking good for another 15 years. :P
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Quick Sealant from Adams on mine to keep them black looking. Works good on the valance for the windshield wipers and the wheels.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to use Adam's but it didn't last that long. I now use this http://www.chemicalguys.com/SPRAY_DR...ir_spray_1.htm

works great and is a little cheaper.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks, going to try some Black on Black action. :P

Edit: Oh dear lord did that Google search go horribly wrong... Lol.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Ok so I ended up at auto zone on the way home and found some maguires black in a shampoo looking bottle for 10 bucks. Hopefully this well do the trick.
The guy there said that this works for exterior while armor all is for interior. Makes sense...thanksfor the help.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superccs
Thanks, going to try some Black on Black action. :P

Edit: Oh dear lord did that Google search go horribly wrong... Lol.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

I had some minor scratches on my black door pillars, so i put some liquid ICE turtlewax on and polished a bit..thinking it would buff it out....

I musta polished a little hard, because my flat black door panel is now shiny in places. GRRRRR. Only i probably notice it, but its bugging me.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by superccs
Ok so I ended up at auto zone on the way home and found some maguires black in a shampoo looking bottle for 10 bucks. Hopefully this well do the trick.
The guy there said that this works for exterior while armor all is for interior. Makes sense...thanksfor the help.
Any luck?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by hodown
Any luck?
well I put the stuff on there and the panels are still there... I also put some of that goop on the plastic of my r6. Nothing over whelmingly fantastic to report, they both just look a little slicker.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had real good luck with Dry Shine Black Trim Restore Treatment

It's like a hard coating. via application you can create a glossy or matte finish

Quick Reply: What protectant for black panels