Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Stained orange "rust" spots on paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Stained orange "rust" spots on paint

I noticed last week when doing a thorough wash and wax of my 13' STX Ingot Silver that there are various areas of small orange stains or "rust" like spots on the paint. I have read plenty on so called rail dust and using a claybar to remove them. I went out and got one of the Meguirs clay bar kits after doing some reading on AutoGeek.com I went over the vehicle and it literally did nothing at all. I certainly smoothed out the finish as a clay bar should do, but the orange spots all remained. Are there any other options you guys have found successful?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by STX196
I noticed last week when doing a thorough wash and wax of my 13' STX Ingot Silver that there are various areas of small orange stains or "rust" like spots on the paint. I have read plenty on so called rail dust and using a claybar to remove them. I went out and got one of the Meguirs clay bar kits after doing some reading on AutoGeek.com I went over the vehicle and it literally did nothing at all. I certainly smoothed out the finish as a clay bar should do, but the orange spots all remained. Are there any other options you guys have found successful?

Thanks!
I'd suggest 3M rubbing compound. It does a real nice job.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

its likely iron bloom, from small iron particles sticking into the paint. If you have tried clay bar you might want to try IronX, if the particles don't turn purple its not iron. You should have had some success with a clay bar, so this makes me wonder if its some kind of paint overspray….which also should have been reduced with a clay bar.

maybe a simple polishing job is needed?

Cheers,
GREG
Old 11-05-2014, 08:55 AM

Yea I'll look into the IronX which I have seen and heard a lot of good things about. I believe you are correct that a good polishing job will probably take care of it. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Wear gloves when applying the Iron-X!! The smell is hard to wash off. Awesome product but horrible smell.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Fast Driver Slow Truck

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you get some pictures of it in sunlight?
Did you try the iron x yet? how'd that go?
rubbing compound would be the last go to in this case, sort of like using a 3# sledge on a finishing nail.
the meguiars clay bar is on the soft end of clay so the casual user won't screw up their black car.
you can get clay magic locally most times or there are other suppliers/brands online.
its graded like steel wool in that you can get ultra fine, fine, coarse, etc.
you will have to come back with a polish(try chemical guys P40) if you use anything other than the ultra fine but if its on the paint it should pull it off.

I had a similar issue on a silver car that was covered in small rust spots. It took a while to get it all off since I had to remove the source of the rust and the stain left behind. I have good luck with Ospho for removing rust stains on paint. looked like someone had used a grinder next to the car.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:49 AM

I was able to pick up some polishing compound and slowly work my way around the truck and I was buffed the spots right out. I haven't had time to get out and get each every spot though, its down in the 30's here right now. At least I know the polishing compound works.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm glad they came out but hoping you didn't use the 80lb hammer when a 20oz would have done the trick. What "compound" did you use?

Cheers,
GREG
Old 11-24-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by STX196
I was able to pick up some polishing compound and slowly work my way around the truck and I was buffed the spots right out.... At least I know the polishing compound works.
Glad to hear it's working for you. What did you wind up using?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 AM

I just went with a the cheap Turtle Wax polishing compound. I slowly am working my way around the truck to the area's where there are tiny spots and getting them out by hand. Its a slow process but it is working.

Quick Reply: Stained orange "rust" spots on paint