Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Paint Decontamination - Part 1 of 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Paint Decontamination - Part 1 of 1

For maintenance auto shampoo I like CarPro Reset Car Wash

For a wash mitt I like
CarPro Hand Wash Microfiber Mitt

or my fav.
CarPro Merino Wool Wash Mitt

For decon I'd suggest...

1) Iron-X spray I like the regular (it stinks but it works)

(see video http://amiracledetailing.com/decon.html)

Spray the wheels first then use (1) foam applicator to rub and smear. Let it sit a few minutes and thoroughly rinse it all off.

Purchase Foam Applicator (6 Pack)

Do the same thing on the paint with a different foam applicator. I mark the foam applicators with a Sharpie. Do NOT cross use foam pads.
Do not use the one for the wheels on the paint. Write on the pads with a sharpie and ONLY use the pad for its purpose.

2) After the vehicle is chemically decontaminated then put your hand in a sandwich bag (Baggie) and feel the paint. Do you feel little bumps?

If so you need mechanical decon. For that I suggest Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt with Immolube concentrate mixture.
I don't like paying for watered down products. (I don't like paying to ship water) Spray Bottle w/ Trigger (32 oz.) and mix according to directions.

IIRC Wal-Mart carries the FINE grade wash mitt

(See video -> http://amiracledetailing.com/decon.html)

) You "can" use a clay bar after the Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt but it usually is not needed.
Feel your paint with the baggie after using the AutoScrub Fine Grade mitt. Do you still feel little bumps?
If you need to use "real clay" then ... I'd suggest using an ULTRA FINE clay bar. This will highly minimize any micro marring.

Almost ALL clay bars that you purchase at you local auto parts store will cause micro marring on the paint especially black.
When you are using Immolube be sure and dilute it correctly. Too much Immolube will cause too much lubricity.

Make sure both the Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt and the clay bar should "glide" over the paint. No pressure.

Last edited by Merlin; 06-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.