Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Pads for polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default Pads for polishing?

Currently I have a couple foam pads, a black one that is smooth, a white one that is dimpled, and the normal wooly one which for the life of me can't think of what it's called. My polisher is a Dewault like this, though I don't recall the actual number, but it has the pad I was referring too. https://www.dewalt.com/en-us/product...olisher/dwp849

It uses a velcro attachment wheel for the pads. I also have a DA, one of those cheapies with the two handles and a push button that you hold to make run.

Question is, I have only used the polisher for correcting a new paint job, after wet sanding to level the clear, then compounding and then polishing. I don't need to level the finish, so no wet sanding needed(Except the topper I just painted), but want to go over the entire truck once with some very fine polishing compound, Chemical Guys V38. Which pad should I be using for this one? The flat black, or the dimpled white one? I don't remember which one I used for what, and did not use a fine compound like the V38, but meguiars Mirror glaze fine cut. My pads have been cleaned of all compounds too, so are fresh and ready.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

For "normal" paint correction/polishing I would not suggest using a big azz Dewalt rotary.
I might suggest a Griots 6" DA with a Meguiars DBP5 (5" backing plate for 5" pads).

For "polishing" I might suggest the following...

Lake Country Low Profile Hydrotech Crimson Finishing Pad 5 1/2"
and
Lake Country Low Profile Hydrotech Tangerine Polishing Pad 5 1/2"
Old 08-23-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I'm considering one of these, https://www.chemicalguys.com/TORQ_TO...p/buf_209x.htm since the Dewalt is primarily the one I use for new paint, and have it out for my topper, started the paint correction last night to see how well the bugs that fell in the clear clean up, and they appear to clean up well, have more than enough clear to correct. I thought I had a black pad, turns out I don't, I have a white waffle, and a white cool cut, the waffle I have been using with the V34 Hybrid, and the other with the V38 final polish.

Quick Reply: Pads for polishing?