Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

New Truck, want to keep it looking that way

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Default New Truck, want to keep it looking that way

Hi guys,

I just recently bought a new to me 2016 F150 XLT Crew Cab in Blue Jeans.

This is the newest truck I've ever owned, and it has the least miles of a truck I've ever owned.

The exterior still looks new, I would like to keep it that way.

I have washed and cared for cars previously, but I'm going to start with a blank slate.

Where should I start for detailing info? I know there are a million products out there, I would want the ones with shortest learning curves and quickest results.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on places to read or info/products to try?

Don't worry you won't offend me, we can start with simply how to wash the car and how often lol.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

If you are only starting out, I would just get most of the stuff from the local parts store and go from there. How often you wash it all depends on where you drive or the type of driving
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
If you are only starting out, I would just get most of the stuff from the local parts store and go from there. How often you wash it all depends on where you drive or the type of driving
I'm curious about polishers and DA applicators as well.

I've had decent luck with Meguiar's products in the past, and walmart is just around the corner from my house...
Old 01-24-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regular maintenance is key. Wash weekly or biweekly if it is a daily driver. Meguiars gold class soap is great and available just about anywhere. Wax at least every 3-4 months depending on the wax or sealant. Use a detail spray regularly, you dont want to touch dry paint with a towel, Meguiars quick detailer is good. Water based dressings are friendlier on rubber and vinyl than a silicone based one. Invest in decent microfiber towels, costco and sams brand work well.

Harbor Freight Tools offers a great DA Polisher for the price, that would be a good starting point. Stick to foam pads, light cutting and polish pads should be good for light maintenance.

youtube is a great place to get information. Look for Dallas Paint Correction, Apex Detailing, and Pan the Organizer, they put out great content.

hope this helps, any specific questions, feel free to ask man.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Adamspolishes.com

Easy to use, lots of how to videos on their site. Get a good polish going then sealant to protect.
The following users liked this post:
Jake72 (12-15-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

http://www.autogeek.com

They have a forum that's a great resource too.

Just traded my 13 bluejean metallic 150 for an 18 lightning blue. Bluejean really, really pops when it's polished and has a good sealant on it.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've been on youtube some and looking around.

I'm hoping I won't need anything more than a clay, polish, and wax to keep her looking good.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If you do that, you'll have a better looking truck than most 90% of them on the road. Some of the new all-in-ones do a great job of taking out light swirls and leaving good protection that lasts several months. My arms like having to only go around the truck once. Here's a good reflection shot off my 13 after a pass with McKee's 360.​​​​​​​

Last edited by pilotpip; 01-25-2019 at 11:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jake72 (12-15-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
I'm curious about polishers and DA applicators as well.

I've had decent luck with Meguiar's products in the past...
If you are just starting out with a DA polisher I'd go with something good and fairly inexpensive.

Machine:
IMHO One of the best DA machines for the price point is Griots 6" random orbital polisher w/lifetime warranty.
5" Backing Plate:
I highly recommend only using a 5" backing plate and 5" pads. I like the Meguiar's® 5" Backing Plate, DBP5.
5" pads:
There is a world of pads on the market.
Microfiber if you are correcting swirl marks.The original Meguiar's® DA Microfiber Cutting Disc - 5 Inch, DMC5
Foam if you are refining the polish to increase gloss, clarity and shine.
Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs 3 Pack Cutting, Polishing & Finishing are good pads to learn with.
Compounds and Polish:
Again, there are hundreds if not thousands, of compounds and polishes on the market.
To learn I might suggest starting with Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.
To Learn:
I'd start with the Megs 5" Finishing foam pad and Meguiars Ultimate Polish
Always start with the least aggressive method to accomplish your task.

As you stated...you have a Walmart close by...
All the items I suggested are available via Walmart except for the Griots 6" random orbital polisher

Now for a BIG item. The microfiber towels. This is a HUGE item.
Inexpensive mf towels can do more harm then good.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamedetailing
Regular maintenance is key. Wash weekly or biweekly if it is a daily driver. Meguiars gold class soap is great and available just about anywhere. Wax at least every 3-4 months depending on the wax or sealant. Use a detail spray regularly, you dont want to touch dry paint with a towel,
I recommend the Two Bucket Wash Method to keep the paint as swirl free as possible. I have a few suggestions for wash mitts and drying towels if you would like.

Quick Reply: New Truck, want to keep it looking that way