Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

How much water pressure-washing vs two buckets

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts
Default How much water pressure-washing vs two buckets

Anyone have a notion of how much water a full two-bucket wash takes versus a pressure wash spray down (followed, if need be, by a bucket wash)?

I spent $22 at the self-serve carwash last week, and it doesn't take that many visits at that rate to pay for a pressure washer.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I can do two bucket my screw for $10 or less at the local place. That is running and gunning though, and typically skipping tire scrubbing
Old 10-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

im not sure what youre asking. i use a pressure washer to spray my truck off and foam it before and after i do my two bucket wash.

i just use a cheapy electric power washer from lowes. it has plenty of pressure (i believe its 1500 psi) to get things clean, any more and i would probably be afraid of causing damage to the paint.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two bucket wash is not a "wash", it is a method. The method refers to the use of 2 separate buckets, grit guards, possibly a couple different wash mitts or pads. It is a method that ultimately comes down to rinsing/ cleaning a wash mitt or pad before adding it back to the clean soap bucket to help lessen contamination from dirt or unwanted particles. Pressure washing is completely different, just think of it as a different water delivery at a higher pressure than a hose. Pressure washing and the two bucket method are not interchangeable.

But to answer your question... a two bucket method wash would be two - 5 gallon buckets so about 8 gallons or so. Depends on the pressure washer, but they usually have an output of 1-2 gpm (gallons per min) so just figure out how long each of your steps takes and that should give you a good idea of how many gallons a wash would take. A garden hose will have a higher gpm output vs most (standard) pressure washers.I believe you are trying to compare water usage between a hose and pressure washer. If comparing water use, then I would say using a pressure washer will use less amounts of water for a wash vs using a garden hose for a wash.

Based on my wash procedure...
1. Pressure washer rinse. - 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
2. Foam cannon (let sit for a few min). - 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
3. Pressure washer rinse again (if the vehicle is very dirty). - 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
4. Quick foam cannon pass again to prevent soap drying on the surface and to add more soap for lubrication. - 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
5. Hand wash using the 2 bucket method. - 8 gallons
6. Pressure washer rinse in lazy or use the hose by itself to sheet excess water and soap off. 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
7. Blow dry with leaf blower, use drying aid with mf drying towels to pat dry any remaining water on the surfaces.

= roughly 20 gallons of water. This is over exaggerating how long it takes to rinse or foam a vehicle, so I probably use closer to 12-15 gallons for a wash.

Last edited by Chaotic29; 12-03-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaotic29
The two bucket wash is not a "wash", it is a method. The method refers to the use of 2 separate buckets, grit guards, possibly a couple different wash mitts or pads. It is a method that ultimately comes down to rinsing/ cleaning a wash mitt or pad before adding it back to the clean soap bucket to help lessen contamination from dirt or unwanted particles. Pressure washing is completely different, just think of it as a different water delivery at a higher pressure than a hose. Pressure washing and the two bucket method are not interchangeable.

But to answer your question... a two bucket method wash would be two - 5 gallon buckets so about 8 gallons or so. Depends on the pressure washer, but they usually have an output of 1-2 gpm (gallons per min) so just figure out how long each of your steps takes and that should give you a good idea of how many gallons a wash would take. A garden hose will have a higher gpm output vs most (standard) pressure washers.I believe you are trying to compare water usage between a hose and pressure washer. If comparing water use, then I would say using a pressure washer will use less amounts of water for a wash vs using a garden hose for a wash.

Based on my wash procedure...
1. Pressure washer rinse. - 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
2. Foam cannon (let sit for a few min). - 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
3. Pressure washer rinse again (if the vehicle is very dirty). - 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
4. Quick foam cannon pass again to prevent soap drying on the surface and to add more soap for lubrication. - 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
5. Hand wash using the 2 bucket method. - 8 gallons
6. Pressure washer rinse in lazy or use the hose by itself to sheet excess water and soap off. 2 min @ 1.2 gpm
7. Blow dry with leaf blower, use drying aid with mf drying towels to pat dry any remaining water on the surfaces.

= roughly 20 gallons of water. This is over exaggerating how long it takes to rinse or foam a vehicle, so I probably use closer to 12-15 gallons for a wash.
Many thanks,

That's what I was trying to figure out. A two-bucket-method wash, as you noted, is about eight or so gallons in the buckets, plus whatever you use rinsing with the hose. Pressure-washing mostly replaces the hose steps, so if the hose is a lower GPM than the pressure washer, that provides a pretty good indication that pressure-washing wouldn't be using more water.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kbroderick
Many thanks,

That's what I was trying to figure out. A two-bucket-method wash, as you noted, is about eight or so gallons in the buckets, plus whatever you use rinsing with the hose. Pressure-washing mostly replaces the hose steps, so if the hose is a lower GPM than the pressure washer, that provides a pretty good indication that pressure-washing wouldn't be using more water.

Correct. I have a cheap(ish) ryobi electric pressure washer and it pretty good for the money. Still going strong after 2 years. There are lots of great pressure washers that are not terribly expensive and will get the job done. Or wait a bit for Matt at Obsessed Garage to finish his latest project on youtube of testing all the "cheap" pressure washers and it might help you decide what you want. Proceed with caution haha getting into detailing will cost you. Luckily I was able to turn my hobby into a side gig and it pays for my detailing hobby + spending money on the truck. PM me if you would like more information.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

LOL. I pressure wash to get all the grit off, then two-bucket wash with a shammy, but... the rag rinse bucket is a half-gallon food container that I leave the hose running in and dump every other time I rinse out the rag.

Yeah, I'm a clay bar guy. The windshield, too.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My method...

I spray with a foam cannon pre-wash foam to remove surface dirt before washing.
Only if needed, the next step is decon - clay bar etc.
Then washed the Two Bucket Wash Method, rinsed and dried w/Metro Master Blaster.
Follow up with a Drying towel if needed, or you can dry the paint with the towel.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

In the winter, I'll run mine through the touchless ($9) and then run home and do a "rinseless" wash in the garage to get the rest of the crud off. This uses 1 more gallon of water from home.

Quick Reply: How much water pressure-washing vs two buckets