Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Help with wheel scuffs/scratches

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with wheel scuffs/scratches

So I made an assumption that since Pep Boys sells hundreds of thousands of sets of tires a year they would be able to install new tires on my truck without any issue. Bad assumption on my part. All four wheels now have scuffs and scratches. I called and spoke with the manager who said to bring it in and he will "assess the situation" but after reading online about similar issues with Pep Boys I'm pretty sure they're not going to provide any assistance. I'm also not sure that having them try to correct their mess up would actually make things better. I worry they might just mess
things up more.

So, my question is can I buff these wheels with regular buffing compound? I have a DA polisher and know how to use it, but I've never considered using it on wheels. Are my wheels clear coated, and if so can I just use regular compound and polish like I would on paint? I guess I know I "can" use the buffer and compound, but is there any reason why I shouldn't?? They are the factory 18 inch wheels on a 2013 FX4.

Last edited by VA13FX4; 11-10-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe they are painted. You dont really have anything to loose to buff it out though.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Whoever mounted them didn't set the "duckhead" correctly and that actually gouged the wheel. That scratch goes through the clear cost so they will have to be refinished. In my 10 years at Discount Tire Company, this would happen about once a month. The wheel can be refinished in typically 24 hours depending on what company they use. Take lots of pictures and don't be afraid to go the the district or regional level. Like I said, this kinda thing happens but they should fix the problem they created.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 69CanaryCamaro
Whoever mounted them didn't set the "duckhead" correctly and that actually gouged the wheel. That scratch goes through the clear cost so they will have to be refinished. In my 10 years at Discount Tire Company, this would happen about once a month. The wheel can be refinished in typically 24 hours depending on what company they use. Take lots of pictures and don't be afraid to go the the district or regional level. Like I said, this kinda thing happens but they should fix the problem they created.
Thanks! I talked with the shift manager and explained it was clearly done at the shop since the truck only had 25k miles and they took the original tires off. He actually didn't even argue. He took a bunch of pictures and said they have a local guy that can make them look new in a day. Fingers crossed no one up the chain there thinks differently.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like you should be good to go!
Old 11-15-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by VA13FX4
Thanks! I talked with the shift manager and explained it was clearly done at the shop since the truck only had 25k miles and they took the original tires off. He actually didn't even argue. He took a bunch of pictures and said they have a local guy that can make them look new in a day. Fingers crossed no one up the chain there thinks differently.
Please let us know how they turned out!
Old 02-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=VA13FX4;5040172]Thanks! I talked with the shift manager and explained it was clearly done at the shop since the truck only had 25k miles and they took the original tires off. He actually didn't even argue. He took a bunch of pictures and said they have a local guy that can make them look new in a day. Fingers crossed no one up the chain there thinks differen

I saw your post and checking to see how your repair to your wheels turned out. I have the same wheels that has some minor scratches.
Thanks in advance,
TG
Old 02-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, Please let us know how they turned out.
We want to see "after" pics and if you're happy with the results.

Name:  100th_harley_1.gif
Views: 123
Size:  503.0 KB
Merlin

Last edited by Merlin; 02-20-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 AM

Pretty happy with the results. They sent me to a wheel refinishing place & he buffed them out. It's been raining here nonstop for what seems like months so the truck is filthy. I'll post some picks as soon as there's a nice day.
The following users liked this post:
LRHogFan (03-01-2017)