Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Glass stains?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Texas Proud!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass stains?

My couple day old truck has water spots on all windows. Not regular old water spots, these are like burned in stains. Nothing i have tried will remove them and driving into the sun is a nightmare. Ive tried windex, rain x, pledge multisurface and the dealer tried newspaper and glass cleaner. Its almost like the spots are in the glass itself. Next on my list is vinegar and water.

Any and mean ANY ideas on solving this would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Professional Detailer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

bio clean. It will remove the spots, no problem.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Texas Proud!

Tried vinegar and water...no dice. The spots are burned in....like the spot from the price stickers on the windshield and door windows. It seems theyve been faded in like if you leave computer on the same webpage without a screen saver. Will try bio clean....im guessing the only thing that would work at this point is high strength UV lights.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My windshield had water spots which appeared to have come from minerals in water drying on the glass, I had some luck with claybar. Not perfect, but a big improvement, especially after the second treatment.
Also, I recently heard that Mothers has come out with a product specifically for water spots, no one in my area is able to keep it in stock so I don't have any "eyewitness" reports on this. Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Glass CAN and will permanently stain but this does not sound like your problem.
I have seen what you are describing many times & it is removable. I've done it.

My suggestion would be use a small Dual Action buffer with a 4" orange LC pad.
Use Rain‑X® X-treme Clean™ on the orange pad & work small areas at a time.
Rain‑X® X-treme Clean™ is like a white gritty compound for glass and it works!

If you do not have a DA buffer it can be done by hand (but it is harder to do).
Use a coarse kitchen sponge and the Rain‑X® X-treme Clean™ and RUB away!
A headlight repair kit "drill attachment" would also probably work to polish with.
Check as you are polishing the glass. If the glass gets too hot it can/will break.

None of the products you described above have the ability to clean the glass.
BTW-Vinegar, good extra virgin olive oil & some nice herbs are great on a salad.

Let us know your results
Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

The glass on my 2005 Lariat was perminantly stained by water. No matter what I tried or how abrasive it was, it always looked like I had wet windows. I even tried some sort of abrasive paste that someone on here recomended. Nothing coming off. It was super irritating. Good luck getting this fixed.

EDIT- Here's my thread about it that I started way back in 2009 including pictures of it. Does this look like what you have?
https://www.f150forum.com/f28/acid-rain-14490/

Last edited by Lenn; 11-29-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIV68-69
My windshield had water spots which appeared to have come from minerals in water drying on the glass, I had some luck with claybar. Not perfect, but a big improvement, especially after the second treatment.
Also, I recently heard that Mothers has come out with a product specifically for water spots, no one in my area is able to keep it in stock so I don't have any "eyewitness" reports on this. Good Luck!
Someone elserecommended the mother Glass Water Spot cleaner, I'm going to try it this weekend. Not looking forward to having to try a buffing compound if the Mothers doesn't work.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Texas Proud!

I have an appt. At the dealership on monday morning. Theyre going to take pics and forward them to ford hq. Based on what ford says as far as warranty, all six windows will be replaced. I bought the truck like this so its on them to fix it. Until then im going to try these last few ideas this wknd. Hope it works...im really not looking forward to having every piece of glass replaced and the leaks..misfits...that are sure to crop up.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd try the Rain‑X® X-treme Clean™ first.

Try in on a small test area with a terry wash cloth. If it works the Ford $tealership has a detailing section.
Let them polish out your glass with it. Trust me the last thing they or you will want is the glass replaced.
If they can't get it clean or if it doe not satisfy you then move ahead with the next option. Try it first.

$10 bucks and a little elbow grease...what do you have to loose. They've already documented it.
BTW - My $tealership Parts Boutique sells it on the shelf along with many other detailing products.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Texas Proud!

Went to stealership today. All i wanted was them to take pics like they said they would. They decidedto give cleaning one more shot. Out comes a guy with a razorblade and a bottle of yellow stuff that he either doesnt know what its called or just wont tell me.

He starts on the windshield and its looking good. This might be working...
I leave and wander through the lot looking at this and that and return to my rig 20min later. Hes on the back window now..HOLY !

Hes scratched the fk out of it! Im not talking one here and one there...he destroyed the window.

I ended up at the bodyshop for 1hr while the shop guy tried to polish the turd his detailer just gave him. Of course it was fail city....he was cool though and told boss guy i needed 5 of six windows replaced.

After FIVE HOURS at the dealership, the dealership ownner comes in from home to find out wtf just happened. He looks at the truck and agrees they need to be replaced. I should hear back on monday what the plan is.

And how was your day.....

Quick Reply: Glass stains?