Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

F11 Top Coat/ Hydrosilex

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 AM
PLATINUM

Received 241 Likes on 144 Posts

Default F11 Top Coat/ Hydrosilex

Been impressed thus far, my dad did his magma and gave me the small bottle, did half my truck with enough to do the rest of the truck. Seems to lay down a nice slick coating. Durability wise, not sure what to expect, but I noticed when we got blasted with ice here in KC, that the side I did the ice came off the truck where as the side that was just waxed last week, the ice stuck.

Prep wise, I didn't do much, washed the truck and sprayed/ buffed with the towels.

When I bought the truck I had ordered hydrosilex to apply at the shop of my dads dealership, it looked good, but didn't seem to last but a few days of Missouri driving. Went to use it before I went to my dads for thanksgiving and it had started molding in the bottle.

The reason I'm posting, is because it was hard to distinguish from the fake reviews and the real ones, and I'll try anything once. Hydrosilex was cheaper, but ruined over 3/4 a bottle by molding- top coat I was impressed with for being a snake oil type product but the price is really discouraging for a glorified spray silica wax.

Anyone Else had experience with either products? Or any of the others out there for that matter. It's nice being able to just rinse the truck to wash it. Me living on gravel, it seems like the truck gets filthy quickly. Eventually once all the paint work is done I plan on doing a full real deal ceramic coat, but still have some things to color match.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I purchased and used F11 on both my boat and my 2015 F150. In my opinion it isn't worth the money. From what I've seen it doesn't last more than 1 hand washing. I had staining from bird droppings that had to be removed with a clay bar one week after after applying the product on the roof of my truck.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:45 AM
PLATINUM

How many coats were on the truck? From what I keep reading, multiple coats is the way to go. It seems like a better than normal spray wax, but I did order more and we shall see how it does over the whole truck with a few coats. I'm just looking to keep the winter crap from sticking
Old 11-28-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

1 coat, no beading after 1 wash that was roughly 1 week after application. I gave up on it and went back to my normal polish, sealer, wax regimen.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

I've got 4 coats of F11 on mine. I started using it this past September. Other than being parked and the rain washing it for me once or twice, I think I've one hand wash at home. Waiting for a dry day to take it over to a car wash and rinse it off. Truck has sat in the barn for over a month now, except for a 5 mile ride, and all it has is dust on it. For the ease of use, and what I've seen so far, it's worth it to me.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 AM
PLATINUM

Originally Posted by johnday
I've got 4 coats of F11 on mine. I started using it this past September. Other than being parked and the rain washing it for me once or twice, I think I've one hand wash at home. Waiting for a dry day to take it over to a car wash and rinse it off. Truck has sat in the barn for over a month now, except for a 5 mile ride, and all it has is dust on it. For the ease of use, and what I've seen so far, it's worth it to me.
I am excited to see meguiers ceramic hybrid spray wax. Retail is less than 20 and is a wet application.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Originally Posted by dykzeulb
I am excited to see meguiers ceramic hybrid spray wax. Retail is less than 20 and is a wet application.
That price is right. Possibly try that in the spring. Due to low temps, I'll likely not put a 5th coat on now.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:23 PM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Default F11 Topcoat

This kept popping up in my feed. There are other products out there but this one caught me at the right time I guess. It was on holiday sale and i had a Paypal credit from something I sold. I otherwise wouldn't have spent whatever they are asking for it. I think my price was about 30.00 - 35.00 bucks. This included the bottle of wash, two rags and the F11 topcoat.

First, I've used many different soaps through the years and I have to say, the car wash included in the kit was pretty good, if not the best I've ever used. I also waxed the car before applying the F11. I buffed out some marks on the clear coat and basically just used a cleaner wax from meguires over the whole thing. Car looked great at this point, but I went one step further and started applying the F11 to a couple spots and buffing it out. My wife is not a car person. She doesn't wash the vehicles, vacuum them, and generally doesn't get that impressed with anything I do to them. Let me tell you, she noticed her car after I was done with this! I am totally blown away with the results I had on her car. I see this stuff as a good alternative to waxing your vehicle as far as appearance, not cleaning. This stuff doesn't clean the clear coat the way wax does, but it sure does take that finish to the next level. Secondly, I have never seen glass reflect an image as well as it does after an application of this stuff. I put this on every surface of the car including the inside of the windshield and the door glass. It restored the surface of the plastic and the rubber. I would also compare the surface of the paint and glass to as good or better than how it looked new!

I don't know how long this stuff will hold up in the weather or driving yet, but if it will last more than a couple months, it might be worth my while to order some more when there is a good sale.

I may update this post once I drive through a few good thunderstorms and it sits in the sun for a month or so.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Look up Ceramic Comparison Test on YouTube, by Scott H - the guy does a fantastic job of comparing a couple dozen of these, some are professional grade.

F11 is garbage, waste of money after you see it compared against other products

Last edited by VeloSix; 12-16-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:27 PM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VeloSix
Look up Ceramic Comparison Test on YouTube, by Scott H - the guy does a fantastic job of comparing a couple dozen of these, some are professional grade.

F11 is garbage, waste of money after you see it compared against other products
I'm not sure that guy was comparing the same products. Some were Carnumba waxes from the 70-80's, old liquid and paste waxes from the 80-90's. Some were Ceramic sealers and some were just spray waxes. Some were hundreds of dollars for a couple ounces while some were 50.00 for 16 OZ. That guy looked and talked like he had a target painted on the F11 product from the beginning to me also. I've seen several comparisons of products from other folks that didn't do the things that this guy showed. And furthermore, when did we decide that water has to bead up on a semi flat surface for the surface to be protected. It seems to me that the F11 provided a pretty good surface when nothing stayed on it period while others on the same plane had water sitting on it.

I think it was just as good as some of the other similar type products and a lot cheaper than some of those ceramics that didn't hold up very long either. We'll see how long it lasts.

And I do like the fact that you put it on all surfaces of the vehicle. Lights, trim, glass, paint, plastic..etc..

Last edited by rhicks20; 12-29-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: F11 Top Coat/ Hydrosilex