Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Ceramic coating vs PPF

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic coating vs PPF

I registered because I am considering getting my car protected… I live in a place where it rains very often and the roads are not so good, I can see the damages caused by the road and the rain: scratches from stones and watermarks from acidic rains.

I looked for a solution and the best I could find so far were Paint Protection Films or Ceramic Coatings.

Firstly: PPF consist of wrapping your car in plastic to protect it from scratches and micro marrings. It is the best protection against stones. The problem is that it is pricey and it can alter the shine and looks.

Secondly: ceramic coating, it is a liquid coating (some are oil based and some are water based) it is cheaper, gives a shiny look and good protection (9H pencil-scale), it also makes the surface easier to clean thanks to hydrophobicity. On the other hand, the final result depends on how well the guy who applies it works and it the protection provided is less good than for films.

Doing more researches online I discovered this company called IGL Coatings that advertises a 10H hardness coating called Kenzo, and I thought I’d go for them since it is the best combination of protection and shines! But I am still a beginner in coatings so I’d like some more experienced guy’s advice.

So my question for you is, which one should I go for: PPF or Kenzo?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go PPF personally, Ceramic coating is nice but the surface needs to be PERFECT to apply it. The same could be said about PPF but you always have the option of redoing the PPF if something goes wrong.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:30 PM

Hi Muskiehunter!
Detailers usually offer paint correction before applying a coating anyway so I guess the surface would be perfect anyways! How about applying PPF on the most vulnerable areas and putting this Kenzo coating on the top of it?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jkyra
Hi Muskiehunter!
Detailers usually offer paint correction before applying a coating anyway so I guess the surface would be perfect anyways! How about applying PPF on the most vulnerable areas and putting this Kenzo coating on the top of it?
I really cant speak to putting 9H on top of PPF, I have no clue how it would bond or protect. I like the ability of replacing any PPF that make get damaged from rock as an example. Also they outrageous price you pay to get a ceramic coating compared to what it costs to do it yourself drives me away from letting someone else do it.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Muskiehunter51
Also they outrageous price you pay to get a ceramic coating compared to what it costs to do it yourself drives me away from letting someone else do it.
Yeah, that's true detailers charge a lot for ceramic coatings... on the other hand, it takes some skills to do so and it is hard to get to their level. It is also not always possible to buy the coating yourself if you're not a detailer: coating manufacturers want their coatings to be well applied so they'd rather train detailers to use their products than let anyone use it. And I know that this is the case for that Kenzo coating I am talking about, you need to be an authorized applicator to be able to perform the application.

"I have no clue how it would bond or protect"
That's a very good point, I'll ask what the detailer thinks when I go to talk to him!

Thank you for your answer!
Old 06-09-2018, 11:58 PM

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Last edited by Re-tired; 06-15-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:55 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Obviously there are a lot of different quality films and different coatings but comparing the higher end of both what's the cost dif.?

I actually enjoy detailing my vehicles. Just knowing it's done right is a great deal of satisfaction and pride. Aside from my time which I have plenty of I have such a small expense (comparatively) that for me, it's just not worth it but I can see how for some it could very easily be the best way to go.

Who knows, I may do the PPF on a vehicle myself one day but I don't see myself doing the Ceramic.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:16 AM

So, I am back with some news!

It is apparently possible and rather common to apply a ceramic coating on the top of a paint protection film! (asked my detailers and double checked online and it is all good)

@Idrive: regarding the very high end quality the main pros of PPF is protection and the main pros of IGL coatings Kenzo, or any other very high quality coatings is to promote the shine of the paint as well as the hydrophobicity that makes the car so much easier to clean. It also kinda protects the paint but nowhere near as much as a PPF.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkyra
So, I am back with some news!

It is apparently possible and rather common to apply a ceramic coating on the top of a paint protection film! (asked my detailers and double checked online and it is all good)

@Idrive: regarding the very high-end quality the main pros of PPF are protection and the main pros of IGL coatings Kenzo, or any other very high-quality coatings is to promote the shine of the paint as well as the hydrophobicity that makes the car so much easier to clean. It also kinda protects the paint but nowhere near as much as a PPF.
1. PPF (I like STEK..I'll tell you why if you want.) may protect from many road-rash inflicted rock chips.
Self-healing PPF (STEK) will also remove/reduce swirls and fine scratches inflicted by improper washing.
PPF is a "plastic" and plastic yellows and dulls over time and will need to be replaced.
The "paint" never looks as good through PPF.
The paint needs to be polished to the best it can be before PPF is applied.

2. Ceramic coatings.
Ceramic coatings create a high gloss finish (the paint it looks better without PPF)
Different coatings create hydrophobicity and there are oleophobic (CQFR) coatings.
Two premium coatings I use are Cquartz Professional and Cquartz Finest Reserve (CQFR).
I like these two because of "looks", durability, longevity and hydrophobic and/or oleophobic properties.
After many discussions with PPF folks, these two are known to play well in the sandbox with most PPF.

Form vs. Function: Looks vs. Protection
Short version
PPF protects against road rash. * Deep rock chips can/will penetrate PPF. It will then need to be replaced.
IMHO PPF dulls the shine that can be accomplished by only applying professional CQuartz products on the paint
Ceramic coatings: There is a lot of (fake news) marketing hype on different coating products these days.
Not all ceramic coating products are made the same, work the same or last the same. Choose carefully.

My process for the best of both worlds...
Deep clean, decontaminate and polish the paint to the best it can be.
If you are going to do PPF...
Have a self-healing PPF (again, I like STEK) applied (at least to the front. bumper, hood fenders, mirrors etc.)
Have a professional quality ceramic coating applied (research brands) IMHO CQFR is the best but that's me.
Sadly, this is a multi-step process but IMHO the best process. Paint correction and polish paint before PPF.
NOTE: If you are going to tint the windows do this first.

PPF and ceramic coatings are different products that do different things each has its pros and cons.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Ceramic coatings will not protect against stone chips, but provide some protection against scratches that can occur from car wash brushes, or leaves/bushes, etc.

PPF protects against chips, heavy scratches, and the like. It isn't the plastic that yellows, but the adhesive, and many of the top brands now have more durable adhesive, like 3M, that doesn't yellow.

You can apply ceramic coating on top of PPF, and is actually recommended.

I bought Suntek for my truck, just waiting for it to be delivered, and doing CQuartzUK for the coating. It doesn't last as long as professionally applied coatings, but protects far longer than wax and sealants can. If I have to do it every couple years, I am fine with that. The only thing now is making sure I have the correct pad for my buffer for polishing the paint with.

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating vs PPF