Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Advice on quick detail spray streaking - solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Advice on quick detail spray streaking - solved

Hint: Do not use fabric softener when washing your micro fiber detail cloths !

I am pretty meticulous about my cars and I have gotten down right **** about it in my older age. I have a Ruby Red F150 and my wife drives a Black 328i BMW Convertible. The last couple of weeks I washed, clayed, polished, sealed and buffed both vehicles and they look great.

Here in AZ there is a lot of dust in the air and neither of my vehicles are garage kept so keeping them looking nice is a lot of work, but it is a little less work when they are sealed and waxed. I picked up a bottle of Chemical Guys spray sealer and detail spray in order to wipe down and touch them up.

So to make a longer story short, the first time I used the detail spray on the F150 it streaked really bad and it took a lot of elbow grease to correct the haze it left behind. I thought it was maybe because the sealant wasn't fully cured so I waited to try again another day. The same thing happened on the BMW even though it had plenty of time to cure.

I racked my brain on what could be causing the streaking and for a bit I thought it was the detailing spray. I questioned if my micro fiber towels may not be clean because I had washed them previous to using the spray. It finally hit me that I had also used fabric softener on them ! When I grabbed a brand new micro fiber cloth to try the detail spray it then worked great and left a nice clean and shiny finish.

It is the fabric softener stupid !! The cloths that I washed have a oily type residue from the fabric softener and it comes out with the spray / moisture. I tried rinsing them multiple times with hot water and they are still full of ****.

I hope this will save someone else a lot of grief and work.
The following users liked this post:
idrive (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Any and all towels/microfibers that are used on a car should be not be dried with a dryer sheet also. Same results as using a softener in the wash.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:50 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

I only use laundry detergent and hot water. Now, all my micro-fiber towels, even the name brand like to leave lint on the glass. What can be done about that?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I had the same problem and was about to get rid of some expensive microfiber towels. Found that I was not washing them properly and got some of the microfiber cleaner detergent from chem guys. On the link below they also have a video on how they wash their towels I started doing the same and it has worked out pretty good.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Microfib...cws_201_16.htm

Originally Posted by Summers22
I only use laundry detergent and hot water. Now, all my micro-fiber towels, even the name brand like to leave lint on the glass. What can be done about that?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:43 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Thanks Ray
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Yep. My better half knows that when it's time to wash my detailing towels they are washed all alone and without any extra "junk"!

Quick Reply: Advice on quick detail spray streaking - solved