Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Advice for light scratches...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Advice for light scratches...?

2018 xlt black. Has some light scratches here and there so went to town on it yesterday for first time since owning it in Oct. 2017.

Here's the steps I took which I thought wss a fairly decent plan. But still have some marks.

Wash > iron x > wipe down with mitt and hose > clay barred the whole thing > wash then dry.

Next used my PC 7424xp aroujd speed 4 with a white 5.5" pad with mothers carnauba cleaner wax, buffed with microfiber cloths then hit it in spots with mcguires ultimate compound in the scratches,buffed out with microfiber cloths again, then went over the whole thing with this "surf city garage ceramic speed spray stuff"

It's super clean but wasn't too happy with how little the scratches came out. Are there any pros out there that can confirm that I should have been using tman orange pad on the porter cable instead of the white? Pads are the chemical guys hex type pads.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated - thanks a lot.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

The combination of white pad and cleaner wax gives you very little cutting/polishing capability. Switch to a medium cutting pad (depending on brand, it is likely an orange pad) and a good polish. Chemical Guys V36/V38, Meguiar's M105/205, etc. Without seeing the depth of the scratches, always start with the light polish liquid before going to the cutting polish.
The following users liked this post:
CCCT (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

+1 on the Orange pad and V36 and V34 Hybrid. The Hybrid stuff is the lighter polishing that also cuts as it is worked. Use the white with the V34 orange with the V36. Also use the Chemical Guys pad cleaner/lubricant on the pad, a quick spray is all it needs.
CCCT (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciated. I guess where I went wrong so to speak was using the white pad with the megs ultimate compound..
Old 03-16-2020, 10:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Another option is the orange pad with Poor Boys SSR 2.5 then SSR 1.0 followed by their Pro Polish, EXP sealant and top coated with Collinite. Sometimes for slight traces of minor scratches you can use PB Black Hole (for dark colors or PB White Diamonds (for light colors) before the EXP. These are glazing products to fill minor scratches. Price points on Poor Boys products are very good and they are very easy to work with.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

IMHO There are many options for paint correction using a PC7424xp

For light (to medium) swirl marks (light scratches) I like.
Meguiar's DMC5 DA 5" Microfiber Cutting Disc
This pad CUTS so be careful when using it. Do not exceed 3800 OPM on the PC.

I'd suggest starting with Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Compound D300
as these two products were designed (lots of R&D) to work together. Great "swirl killer" combo.

Has some light scratches here and there

This could mean many different things to different folks.

If it is "swirl marks"...these are fine scratches inflicted using improper washing techniques.
The above combo works great to level and leaves a fairly decent finish.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound is a consumer version based on M105 (less aggressive and less dusting)
A good amount of the "cut", when doing paint correction, comes from the compound then the pad.
Always be careful when polishing the paint. There is very little clear coat and it is precious.

Now let's talk about what you are trying to correct. Can you "feel" any of these scratches with your fingernail?

Also, after using the Megs mf disc and D300 compound you will need to follow up with a fine pad and fine polish.
This is where your shine, gloss, clarity, and brilliance come into play. This second step clears the micro fog.

REMEMBER: Use caution. Always use the least aggressive method to get the job done!
CCCT (04-01-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
IMHO There are many options for paint correction using a PC7424xp

For light (to medium) swirl marks (light scratches) I like.
Meguiar's DMC5 DA 5" Microfiber Cutting Disc
This pad CUTS so be careful when using it. Do not exceed 3800 OPM on the PC.

I'd suggest starting with Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Compound D300
as these two products were designed (lots of R&D) to work together. Great "swirl killer" combo.

This could mean many different things to different folks.

If it is "swirl marks"...these are fine scratches inflicted using improper washing techniques.
The above combo works great to level and leaves a fairly decent finish.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound is a consumer version based on M105 (less aggressive and less dusting)
A good amount of the "cut", when doing paint correction, comes from the compound then the pad.
Always be careful when polishing the paint. There is very little clear coat and it is precious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBACx72h4g

Now let's talk about what you are trying to correct. Can you "feel" any of these scratches with your fingernail?

Also, after using the Megs mf disc and D300 compound you will need to follow up with a fine pad and fine polish.
This is where your shine, gloss, clarity, and brilliance come into play. This second step clears the micro fog.

REMEMBER: Use caution. Always use the least aggressive method to get the job done!
Good advice. But realistically swirl Mark's are not 100% avoidable. Its a fact.of life.

Quick Reply: Advice for light scratches...?