Topic Sponsor
Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum Give us your feedback and tell us what you'd like to see or report a functionality problem.

Searching and Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Arrow Searching and Results

When I search using the advanced search, I do not get good results. Searching for titles that I know exist do not show up. While reading about this, other users have suggested using an advanced search on Google, which works, but the internal searches could be a lot better.

Several times I have searched for a thread under the section that is for the 2009-2014 F150 and wind up in the threads for the newer trucks. Yes, these are first world problems to be sure but annoying nonetheless.

It’d be awesome if the search was more selective.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:50 PM
IB Staff

Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Are you using the Advanced Search? There's a lot of selection options:
https://www.f150forum.com/search.php

Internal search results for many sites like F150 is often a source of feedback. F150 has 439,272 threads and over 6 million posts. That's a lot of content to search and sort and when Google's main business and fame was its Search engine, you can see it's not very easy. Over the years, the search engine has been upgraded from stock to try and address some of those common concerns.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

At times, yes. Today I was in a thread and was trying to search for a thread number, that doesn’t work. Odd as the post number is displayed when one reads the post. It is an outstanding forum for sure, this is a minor issue but one that I figured I present in the event so it could be tweaked.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:31 PM
IB Staff

Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Thread numbers and posts are not indexed and thus cannot be searched by. I'm not aware of other forums like F150 having that option unless it's a different core software. The content itself is what's generally indexed.

There's limitations. If I wanted to find thread 15, for example, even if that were indexed (it is not) the amount of 15s in the database would be so great that it would be lost in the results unless I was able to define that was a thread number, which I can't because that's not built into the software.

When you have as much content as F150 does, you sometimes have to be creative and very specific to find exactly what you want due to the amount of data. This is a problem big message forums, like F150, have had for years and is why the parent company (Internet Brands) has spent time in refining the search engine. Still, the amount of data and the specific wants doesn't always make an easy return.
The following 2 users liked this post by IB JT:
IB Jose (07-22-2019), Piney68 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Op use google, type [your question here] site:f150forum.com. Boom you'll find everything you're looking for.
The following users liked this post:
Piney68 (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Searching and Results