General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring PIAA's into low beams

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post wiring PIAA's into low beams

hey guys! just put a westin bull bar on my f'y and got PIAA 520 series off road driving lights on the way. i was planning on wiring them into a switch like recommended but heard that could wire them somehow into the low beams. Im running HID's already and didnt know if this was possibly so i figured id ask. One more ?, im running 33 BFG AT's right now and i want to go bigger possibly 35, maybe even just a 34 but having problems finding any 34 AT's, know of any? Thanks guys!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

About your lights, I ran a relay with with the 85 pin to the low beam wire right behind the head light assembly. also ran the wire to a switch so I could switch my headlights on and turn the off road lights off. this is very easy to do just a little mind racking if you dont know much about wiring. the best advice I have to give is do a google search for (12 volt relays) and click on the image option. if you read and look at the pictures it will make things much easier.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! i beleive ima give it a shot!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

no problem, If you have any questions or get your self into a wiring mess feel free to PM me. Wiring comes second nature to me...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually piaa lights are probably the easiest to wire. the only bare wires in the harness that they send you are a power, ground, and trigger wire. all you do is hook the trigger wire to the low beam power wire.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by truckie86
hey guys! just put a westin bull bar on my f'y and got PIAA 520 series off road driving lights on the way. i was planning on wiring them into a switch like recommended but heard that could wire them somehow into the low beams. Im running HID's already and didnt know if this was possibly so i figured id ask. One more ?, im running 33 BFG AT's right now and i want to go bigger possibly 35, maybe even just a 34 but having problems finding any 34 AT's, know of any? Thanks guys!
i wouldnt wire them into your low beams. youre just asking for a ticket. Wire them into your HIGH BEAMS. State laws limit you to 2 sets of lights (headlights and a set of factory fogs) on at one time. i had my factory heads, fogs and two more sets of lights on and got pulled over for it.(they were even aimed away so they wouldtn blind). now this is the state of Michigan law but im pretty sure its the same everywhere. look at your state laws man and save yourself from a $200 ticket.

I would wire the lights on a seperate circuit anyways. isolate all circuits, it makes them easier to diagnoise and fix problems. I would wire them straight from the battery to a relay with an inline fuse and a seperate switch to the battery. thats how i have all of mine. thats just me, i know alot of people wire aftermarket lights to their highbeams circuit.

Last edited by Pity7700; 12-22-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pity7700
i wouldnt wire them into your low beams. youre just asking for a ticket. Wire them into your HIGH BEAMS. State laws limit you to 2 sets of lights (headlights and a set of factory fogs) on at one time. i had my factory heads, fogs and two more sets of lights on and got pulled over for it.(they were even aimed away so they wouldtn blind). now this is the state of Michigan law but im pretty sure its the same everywhere. look at your state laws man and save yourself from a $200 ticket.

I would wire the lights on a seperate circuit anyways. isolate all circuits, it makes them easier to diagnoise and fix problems. I would wire them straight from the battery to a relay with an inline fuse and a seperate switch to the battery. thats how i have all of mine. thats just me, i know alot of people wire aftermarket lights to their highbeams circuit.
just wanted to say that hooking them to your low beams is the only legal way. youre right that you can only have 4 lights on at a time but they count each high beam bulb as two lights (the reason your fog lights cut off when you flip to high beams).
Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
just wanted to say that hooking them to your low beams is the only legal way. youre right that you can only have 4 lights on at a time but they count each high beam bulb as two lights (the reason your fog lights cut off when you flip to high beams).
It wouldnt be legal at all, the PIAA 520 driving lights are too bright for highway use and wiring them into your low beams would be stupid and dangerous to other drivers. I have a set of these also and have them on a separate switch. If you were going to wire them into your existing headlights the high beams would be where to do it at. Doesnt really matter if they count your high beams as two lights or not because these PIAAs are too bright for highway use anyway so you will get a ticket for using them if you get caught no matter what, hooking them to low beams is just plain stupid no matter how you look at it.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
actually the reason the fogs cutout when your highbeams are turned on is because you can only have a certain amount of light (candle power) coming from the front of a vehicle. its legal to wire them with their own switch, as long as they arent on. i know every state is different with their laws. some states if you have aftermarket lights you have to have covers on them when driving down normal street.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the 520's. They are off road lights, not legal for highway use. That being said, they are not overly bright and as long as you do not have your stock fogs and them on at the same time, police probably won't bother you, unless you are doing something else stupid.

I have them wired to the parking lights with the PIAA switch on the dash just below the stock light switch. This way I can use them with just the parking lights for morning or evening driving, fog, rain, etc.

Because they are not legal, I play it safe and turn them off at night, except on back roads where I won't meet any traffic.

Quick Reply: wiring PIAA's into low beams