General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is the drain plug there

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default why is the drain plug there

No bashing Ford. Just why would they put the drain plug on the 2018, 5.0 engines, on the side of the oil pan where the oil will splash out on a cross member? I can't think of any reason why that would be there. I haven't seen it yet, don't have my new v8 yet, but the issue came up in this site.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

Just why would they put the drain plug on the 2018, 5.0 engines, on the side of the oil pan where the oil will splash out on a cross member?
Why does the sun rise every morning?
So far all my 5.0 oil changes have been done by the dealership, so its Ford's problem.

However if misery loves company, I've got the same issue on my Jeep XJ with the transfer case drain plug.
Same with my Cub Cadet lawn tractor's engine drain plug. An unbelievable oil change mess.
Both require just about an entire paper towel roll and a bunch of oil dry to clean up the messes.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

You're complaining about a feature on a truck you don't yet own? Wow, can't wait to see what happens when you own it... You do know it's a plastic pan and a plastic plug right? OMG!

I had a vehicle where the oil filter was mounted right over the exhaust system, so the oil leaked onto the mesh area and then burned off for a while. I used to wrap newspaper around it, change the oil, and remove the newspaper. Was also fun working with a hot exhaust.

Usually the issues raised on a forum are way overblown, and a small percentage of users think they are issues. Focus on what's great about the vehicle, not what's not great about it, and you'll enjoy it more.
The following 5 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
BCMIF150 (04-19-2018), chimmike (04-19-2018), Jbrew (04-19-2018), RLXXI (04-19-2018), techrep (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't have a clear answer. But being in the auto industry and dealing with the new model design teams. I can tell you that it was probably not intentional. Someone on the chassis team probably moved the crossmember because someone on the drivetrain, or body, or safety, or suspension, etc. design team requested it...Powertrain team looked at it and it didn't interfere with anything so "OK".

If this small issue was found in prototype testing they probably decided that if it became a real problem, it would be cheaper to just issue a memo or a special drain funnel to dealers to help prevent oily messes and speed up service times.
The following users liked this post:
stevehin (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
You're complaining about a feature on a truck you don't yet own? Wow, can't wait to see what happens when you own it... You do know it's a plastic pan and a plastic plug right? OMG!

I had a vehicle where the oil filter was mounted right over the exhaust system, so the oil leaked onto the mesh area and then burned off for a while. I used to wrap newspaper around it, change the oil, and remove the newspaper. Was also fun working with a hot exhaust.

Usually the issues raised on a forum are way overblown, and a small percentage of users think they are issues. Focus on what's great about the vehicle, not what's not great about it, and you'll enjoy it more.
The worst car I had to change oil on was a 93 Chevy Lumina. The oil filter was inside the oil pan. After draining the oil you had to take the 7” or so diameter plug out of the bottom of the pan. When that dropped, the oil in the cup of it would go all over the place no matter how level you tried to keep it when lowering it. Then, you had to take a pair of pliers to pull the filter off using a tab at the bottom of the filter. You guessed it, more oil all over the place. Took it to an oil change place after doing that a few times. First time there, the guy pulled that cast iron plug out and dropped it in the oil pan. Blue smoke came out from underneath the car and not because it was burning oil.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by blue2010xlt

The worst car I had to change oil on was a 93 Chevy Lumina. The oil filter was inside the oil pan. After draining the oil you had to take the 7” or so diameter plug out of the bottom of the pan. When that dropped, the oil in the cup of it would go all over the place no matter how level you tried to keep it when lowering it. Then, you had to take a pair of pliers to pull the filter off using a tab at the bottom of the filter. You guessed it, more oil all over the place. Took it to an oil change place after doing that a few times. First time there, the guy pulled that cast iron plug out and dropped it in the oil pan. Blue smoke came out from underneath the car and not because it was burning oil.
That brings back memories, I hated those damn things.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
That brings back memories, I hated those damn things.
No kidding!! Glad that thing is gone.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

My 5.0 has a metal pan and the drain in the right place,,,,2013
Wanna really bash Ford...go chg the filter on my wifes 2016 Escape Eco...what a fricken nightmare...
Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone put a fumoto drain valve on their f150? The one with the longer nipple you can attach a hose to? That could be one solution to this problem.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing that sucks about the drain plug on the new f150's is it is only a 1/4-1/2 turn plastic drain plug that is huge. When you take it out you may as well open up a damn garden hose. Very poor design for the oil drain on the new f150's. I do miss that part of my 2013 f150...LOL

Quick Reply: why is the drain plug there