Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do we collect so much junk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why do we collect so much junk?

Why do we collect so much junk?
Why do we collect so much junk? At least I do. Stared to insulate the garage yesterday, took me 2 1/2 hours just to clean off one wall (including removing the worst set of shelves you can even imagine. The shelves were made with 100% scrap lumber mostly peices of 1/4 inch plywood.) Once the garage is insulated I will rebuild the shelves properly. I've got enough junk to fix darn near anything but when I need it it is so buried I can't find it! So what is the rule of thumb for keeping keeping or tossing these treasures? There will definitly be a bonfire in the fire pit tomorrow? How much is too much stuff.
Today I swear that I have moved everything in the garage now at least three times some things a hundred times, in, out, back and forth and round and round. Only 16 more feet to insulate. Hopefully finish up this weekend. I'm off to Edmonton, 350 miles tomorrow (no the Oilers are not playing) for my cousins funeral on Friday. I am in need of storage ideas with pics if possible ......... somebody must have some ideas. I have found at least 20 funnels ............ anybody need a few?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Big Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have so much stuff in the garage it's not even funny. I thinkn I got it from my dad. My parents garage as super full, couldn't even walk to the garage door from inside the house. He had a storage she built, about 8'x12' which we put a lot of stuff in, then had a shop built, about 12'x18' which held some more stuff, then another side shed built, about 5'x15' which finished off all the stuff. Now the garage is family room, quite nice. My garage is pretty cluttered too, I need to find somewhere to put everything, I can't even use the table saw I got for Christmas cause there is so much junk in the way. If you have a nice attic, put a lot of stuff up there, that's one of the only things I can think of, that or a storage shed. If you can make it yourself, you'll save a lot of money. Good luck cleaning yours out, I know I need some!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

nice to know im not the only one...

couple months ago i sold a bunch of stuff i had laying around, some stuff from the f150 and LOT of s10 parts on craigslist (damn thing). i sold a brush guard to an older guy who brought his wife along for the ride. i told them i was finally starting to get the place cleaned up and they both laughed a little. he says, we bought our house in 1976 and this winter i gave the garage a good cleanout for the first time since 1976. he found all sorts of stuff he hung up on the wall 30 + years ago. im sure that was fun lol
Old 07-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Live Free or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some cool garages:

http://www.leenks.com/gallery1076.htm

Last edited by Armadillo; 07-16-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Live Free or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, there's a Garage forum that has given me great ideas as far as organizing, storage and such:

http://www.garageretreat.com/forums/index.php

My garage is a cluttered mess too. And I'm going through a huge de-cluttering project. It's taking me forever. I'm still sorting out a section of it. I gave myself a rule that if I haven't used something in about a year then I probably don't need it. I will have to do one of the following:

1) donate it

2) trash it

3) sell it

Last edited by Armadillo; 07-16-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Why do we collect so much junk?