Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do they call them techs and not mechanics anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Why do they call them techs and not mechanics anymore?

So as the title says why do they call them techs and not mechanics anymore? I was just thinking about this, anyone know the real reason?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

To me it's because of all the electronics, computer stuff on the vehicles now.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 AM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4HAWAII
So as the title says why do they call them techs and not mechanics anymore? I was just thinking about this, anyone know the real reason?
Because of the politically correct society we are living in and everyone must be made to feel good and important. Back in the day we called the people that picked up our trash "Garbage Men" or Trash collector", now we call them "Sanitation Engineers" to make them feel better about themselves while not paying them more.

As for techs vs mechanics, most mechanics have more of a hands on approach to working on the inner workings of a machine/device while a tech is more of a board or parts changer without understanding why the part failed, if it really did fail. Its more of a spray and pray approach of diagnosis. Keep throwing parts at it until you find the faulty one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crab Balls:
2002FX4 (11-08-2013), Wanted33 (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Crab *****
Because of the politically correct society we are living in and everyone must be made to feel good and important. Back in the day we called the people that picked up our trash "Garbage Men" or Trash collector", now we call them "Sanitation Engineers" to make them feel better about themselves while not paying them more.
Ding.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

So the dealer can charge more...
That's not just a mechanic, that's a "Factory Trained Technician"
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

As for techs vs mechanics, most mechanics have more of a hands on approach to working on the inner workings of a machine/device while a tech is more of a board or parts changer without understanding why the part failed, if it really did fail. Its more of a spray and pray approach of diagnosis. Keep throwing parts at it until you find the faulty one.

You have that assbackwards, you try having a grease monkey diagnose a multiplexed network of computers on wheels and your SOL. A tech knows how to fix things by proper diagnosis a mechanic is good at changing parts.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I worked for many years as a maintenance electrician. About the last ten years I worked the company decided to call us maintenance techs. The reason for this was to get by for less. This way we had to do pipe fitting plumbing mechanical repair.
I have encountered my fair share of parts swappers. If the swap didn't work they just threw the part on a shelve, you didn't know if it was good or bad.

2013 F150 STX rcab 4X4 5.0 engine
Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This, but it also has to do with getting rid of some of the (100% untrue) stigmas attached to the word mechanic. Calling somebody a tech can often project a more educated and/or trustworthy image. Same job and responsibilities, but it all has to do with the image that is projected to the customer.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Sadly it's because most today can not figure out how to fix anything if it doesn't have a diagnostic code. I have a 1970 Ford that I needed to get safeties for the road. I figured I would bring it to the dealer I have bought my new cars from since I trust them. I asked if they had an old guy who understood them to Don the inspection. Turned out the day I brought it in the old guy was off sick and some young guy worked on it. I got a call that I had a rear axle seal leak. I told them to go ahead and fix it as i was busy that day. The mechanic replied that he didn't know if he could get the seal, and also he wasn't sure how to remove the axle since the rear differential was " missing the cover, and he might have to cut it open then reweld" it will probably be a 6 hour job. i can't believe this young guy had never seen a Ford 9" rear end. I bought the seal myself at a parts dealer across the street went home changed the seal and was back at the dealer in an hour and a half.
Most of these tech have never seen the internal of an engine or built one them self.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:11 PM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You have that assbackwards, you try having a grease monkey diagnose a multiplexed network of computers on wheels and your SOL. A tech knows how to fix things by proper diagnosis a mechanic is good at changing parts.

We are going to have to disagree on this. I'll take an old school mechanic any day of the week compared to most modern "educated" techs. Most techs have become nothing more than parts changers. Changing parts till you hit the defective one should never be used as a diagnosis method, especially at the customer's expense. I've gotten to the point of when one of my guys changes an expensive electronics part they have to bring it to me for testing first. Can't fire these techs because they are protected so I have to hold their hands. Seems childish and counterproductive but you have to work with the "tools" that were put in your box. I get highly pissed when I see a bent pin or a dirty edge connector. I won't even ask them what a diode, resistor, or capacitor is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crab Balls:
2002FX4 (11-08-2013), Wanted33 (11-08-2013)

Quick Reply: Why do they call them techs and not mechanics anymore?