General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What year did they start useing the cam phaser

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What year did they start useing the cam phaser

I am in the market looking for my first F-150. I have seen several problems associated with f150 cam phasers going bad at all milages. Are the years before the cam phaser more reliable? What year should I be looking to buy?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Posttal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this article informative concerning cam phasers.
http://www.powerperformancenews.com/...l-5-a-933.html

But from what I'v read 2004 and 2005 were the problem years..after that ford updated them.So I guess if I was to be leary of any it would be those years.Not saying anything will happen..but if your not a lucky person why push it.Its kinda like my Harley..its a 2000 ultraclassic with the twin cam 88 motor.They came out in 99 and had cam bearing problems..rumours and horror stories were everywhere..but keep in mine you only hear the complaints,no one ever goes on line to just say..hey my truck or bike is fine.They go on line when something breaks.Anyway on the Harley they updated the parts in 2001..like ford updated in 2006..Harley changed from roller bearings to needle bearings.I naturally updated my bike because I'm not gonna press my luck.My bikes has only 19,000 miles on it..But i'v talked to guys with 1999's with 80,000 miles and NO problems.
So to quote Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry...Do you feel lucky..?

Quick Reply: What year did they start useing the cam phaser