General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has changed in the last decade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 AM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What has changed in the last decade?

I'm just trying to figure out what has really changed on trucks in the last decade. A lot has changed since the debut of the F-series in 1948, but what has changed over the last 10 years that really makes buying a new truck worth the money? And has it been for the better?
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

S
t
y
l
e
Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technology, safety and drivability...that's what I can think off the top of my head

Sent from my iPhone
Attached Thumbnails What has changed in the last decade?-image-4166560379.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 05:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

quietness of the ride...i had a 2004 heritage f-150 and i can tell a difference in the road noise between the 2..
Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thought is the technology made available to purchase, e.g. Higher hp with improved fuel economy.

Sent from my iPad using F150 Forum
Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

Among many other things I think the structure technology is the most significant. The 04+ models are light years ahead of the previous gen when it comes to frame strength, cab strength and all around safety.

Sent from my space age wireless mobile communication device using the F150 Forum app
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the last ten years...

Boxed frame
Closed tow hooks
Max Payload
Increased max trailer weight
Engines
transmissions (for better or worse)
cab insulation
weight
creature comforts
that "man-step"
Room in cab
fuel efficiency
various gizmos
Lighting dies
Raptor is born
Better crash test performance
The Latch system
Flat rear floor

I think that's about it...
Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM
zap

Closed tow hooks should've been standard years ago. I actually have closed hooks on my 02 that are 11,000 lb rated tie downs welded to the bumper that I picked up for less than $10. Frames may be boxed, but aren't they designed to crumple more now? Standards were actually lighter in weight and could've easily kept up with the autos had the right clutches been installed in them from the factory. The newer trucks are actually heavier. Max payload, there is still a legal maximum for half ton trucks. Most are just heavy half's today, but still a legal maximum.

On safety, I would agree that they are much safer in every aspect except for a roll over, they still aren't built to roll. However, they are even easier to total now.

Fuel economy has definitely improved out of the box. However mechanically, things have changed very little. It seems that standard options on the diesel market for the last 20 years are now appearing in engines such as the EB (direct injection, raised compression ratio, turbocharging) but there is still a huge room for improvement. Take for example, you can put a 3.9L I4 Cummins 4BT (mechanically injected turbo diesel) which is identical to the 5.9L 6BT minus the front two cylinders into an 97-03 body with a 5 speed and make an easy 30 mpg with more torque than an EB can make. ABS systems haven't improved and to those who actually know how to control a vehicle just makes the stopping distances longer. ABS still doesn't work well on ice or dirt. Axles haven't changed except with the addition of factory installed lockers (instead of aftermarket installed).

The ride quality and noise in the cab has gotten much better.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by zap
Closed tow hooks should've been standard years ago. I actually have closed hooks on my 02 that are 11,000 lb rated tie downs welded to the bumper that I picked up for less than $10. Frames may be boxed, but aren't they designed to crumple more now? Standards were actually lighter in weight and could've easily kept up with the autos had the right clutches been installed in them from the factory. The newer trucks are actually heavier. Max payload, there is still a legal maximum for half ton trucks. Most are just heavy half's today, but still a legal maximum.

On safety, I would agree that they are much safer in every aspect except for a roll over, they still aren't built to roll. However, they are even easier to total now.

Fuel economy has definitely improved out of the box. However mechanically, things have changed very little. It seems that standard options on the diesel market for the last 20 years are now appearing in engines such as the EB (direct injection, raised compression ratio, turbocharging) but there is still a huge room for improvement. Take for example, you can put a 3.9L I4 Cummins 4BT (mechanically injected turbo diesel) which is identical to the 5.9L 6BT minus the front two cylinders into an 97-03 body with a 5 speed and make an easy 30 mpg with more torque than an EB can make. ABS systems haven't improved and to those who actually know how to control a vehicle just makes the stopping distances longer. ABS still doesn't work well on ice or dirt. Axles haven't changed except with the addition of factory installed lockers (instead of aftermarket installed).

The ride quality and noise in the cab has gotten much better.
The frames are designed to crumple in the first foot or two in the front, not the entire frame. Look at slow motion vids of head on and offset front end collisions on the 97-03 trucks and then compare them to the 04+ trucks, the difference in frame rigidity is night and day. As far as a rollover the new trucks are VERY strong in that department. The pillars are made of 4 to 5 layers of reinforced high strength steel that is incredibly tough to collapse during a rollover.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
zap

My point on the rollover was $600-$800 on a good roll cage, and they won't crush at all. And they are actually still quite easy to crush, seen it done. Seen 97-03 series with HD headache racks come out better than 09's in a roll. I've seen the crash footage and believe me I know I have a genuine ankle breaker. But if you look, the rear's are also designed to crumple it the event of a decent punch from behind. I know they're much better on side. But if you increase the speeds to 70, lets see who walks away from those, that also has a high probability of turning into a multiple rollover. It would be tough even in the new trucks.

Quick Reply: What has changed in the last decade?