General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Ford should've done instead of the Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

Default What Ford should've done instead of the Ranger

While I'm happy to see a smaller truck offering from Ford, I don't think I'm the only one who is dissatisfied with the direction that they went. The new Ranger is big... like the Colorado or the Tacoma, not the true compact truck that we used to have. Therefore, why call it a Ranger?.

Many of you may remember that a few years ago, Ford threw around the idea of making an F-100. It would've been a slightly smaller truck built on a modified F150 chassis. It would fit right in for people needing a slightly smaller, less capable truck. Lower tow/payload ratings, higher MPG, and it wouldn't be ridiculous to call it an F-100. As an added bonus, it would've counted toward Ford's "F-series" sales numbers.

I get that they're going for the familiarity of the Ranger name, but not sure they've made the right choice. The mid-size trucks are just small enough to be a lot less comfortable inside. The space efficiency of the old 90's trucks is gone, these things are crammed full of plastic that makes you feel cramped. Glad I didn't wait around for the Ranger/F-100.

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/blog/f-100-pickup-rumor
http://www.trucktrend.com/future-tru...ied-ford-f100/
http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-f-100/

Last edited by ZeroTX; 03-04-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroTX
While I'm happy to see a smaller truck offering from Ford, I don't think I'm the only one who is dissatisfied with the direction that they went. The new Ranger is big... like the Colorado or the Tacoma, not the true compact truck that we used to have. Therefore, why call it a Ranger?.

Many of you may remember that a few years ago, Ford threw around the idea of making an F-100. It would've been a slightly smaller truck built on a modified F150 chassis. It would fit right in for people needing a slightly smaller, less capable truck. Lower tow/payload ratings, higher MPG, and it wouldn't be ridiculous to call it an F-100. As an added bonus, it would've counted toward Ford's "F-series" sales numbers.

I get that they're going for the familiarity of the Ranger name, but not sure they've made the right choice. The mid-size trucks are just small enough to be a lot less comfortable inside. The space efficiency of the old 90's trucks is gone, these things are crammed full of plastic that makes you feel cramped. Glad I didn't wait around for the Ranger/F-100.

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com...0-pickup-rumor
Still would have taken R&D time and money. The T-6 and powertrain are already all in use in other arenas, little to no R&D required. The small truck sales were lagging badly by the time the Ranger was finally killed off, so a "small " truck was a no go from a sales standpoint. A new "small" truck would have sold to fleets, parts distro, etc, but would have been savaged in the market in reviews, which would have nuked sales in the general market.

Modification of the T-6 for the US market made more economic sense than attempting to engineer a 4/5 F series, which is what they were discussing at the time.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Ford uses the Ranger name world wide and only the Toyota Hilux out sells the Ford Ranger world wide outside of North America. Therefore there is a lot of value in the Ranger name. Selling it in North America will probably push their world wide sales ahead of Toyota and allow Ford to advertise the Ranger in other countries as the best selling truck. And you know how much Ford loves their best selling advertising slogan.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,215 Posts

"Many of you may remember that a few years ago, Ford threw around the idea of making an F-100."

Owned a 61 F100! Big as an F150. Had the cab/bed was unitized not separate, fuel tank behind the seat. "Fred".was like dirving an armored truck, the sheet metal was sooo thick. KM

Certainly the New Ranger's size is a drawback, longer, almost as wide, bit shorter, as heavy as my st cab 2017 F150. KM
Old 03-04-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

I just don't think there is the market there that you think there is for a truck that small. Ford, as well as all manufacturers do survey's, and bring in people to figure out what will sell BEFORE they even begin designing it. They just don't build something and hope it sells. There may be a niche market for tiny trucks, but the Tacoma, Ranger, and similar sized trucks are closer to a mid size, and that is what sells by a wider margin.

I had a chance to participate in one of those sessions back in the early 90's and my input, as well as lots of others played a role in determining how the new models in 1997 looked and how they were equipped. I got a letter and was asked to show up at a hotel conference room on a certain date and time. I spent about 2 hours being interviewed and filling out forms stating my preferences for various options, I got $50 for my time. I sure wasn't the only person there and I'm sure the same thing was done all over the country. A lot of questions didn't make sense at the time, but as soon as the new trucks were introduced it all became clear.
The following users liked this post:
SCrewYou (03-05-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Back in the day I had a 1976 F100 Ranger, it was a RCFS with a 390 and a C6, my buddy had a 1976 F150 Custom with a 300 Straight 6 and a 4 speed RCLB. the rear suspension was different and I think the front springs were lighter, the only difference was the GVWR was about 500 different but other than that it was it was the same truck. So why would Ford make a F100 and it be different than the F150.
BTW the Ranger was a package just like the STX was in 2003 added to the rest.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com...0-pickup-rumor
Did you know there is already a thread about the new Ranger ?

It is barely larger than the old Rangers. It is 4" wider than my 2002 Ranger Scab and the bed isn't longer.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Dumb idea to ever quit making the ranger, but I'm not an analyst and cannot' forecast any truck market. Hindsight is 20/20.

I do know that the most common truck I see everywhere I go is a Tacoma. Not the tundra, the Tacoma.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Question

Does the ranger count as a "F-Series sale", so that it doesn't hurt the count of the f-150 on up?

Hopefully it doesn't hurt the count for the #1 selling figures.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

While I'm happy to see a smaller truck offering from Ford, I don't think I'm the only one who is dissatisfied with the direction that they went. The new Ranger is big... like the Colorado or the Tacoma, not the true compact truck that we used to have. Therefore, why call it a Ranger?
Big like the Tacoma? Which also used to be a compact truck.
Same with the Colorado and the Frontier.

My dad's new Tacoma is taller and longer than my 10th gen F150.
But the much bigger Tundra is what competes with the current F150 market.
Heck, even the old F250s look small next to the current F150s.

Most "mainstream" vehicles are just getting bigger these days. Part of it is for safety, part is for added tech, part is for the illusion that you're driving a bigger vehicle than you actually are. Most people live under the misconception that a bigger vehicle is better and safer in an accident; even though that's not true, it still helps sales. Same reason many companies add weights to products like pens and chairs, people falsely assume the added weight is a better build quality and better product.

Quick Reply: What Ford should've done instead of the Ranger