Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could be draining my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could be draining my battery?

I've had my 2013 F150 about a month now, and last week I got a low battery warning on my radio. I happened to be in town so I stopped at Auto Zone to have them test my battery. The battery tested good, but it was only 35% charged. A few days before this happened, I noticed a strange rhythmic "click-click" every 4-5 seconds coming from under the hood. I had read the Ecoboost engines can make strange sounds, so I chalked it up to that. I now realize that it was my alternator kicking off and on. So Sunday I disconnected the after-market Platinum Protection (which is an anti-corrosion system) from the battery figuring that is what was draining it. I charged the battery up completely on Sunday afterwards. This morning I started my truck and "click-click", "click-click" every 4 seconds again. I drove to work (which is 20 miles of straight highway) and before I shut the truck off I could still hear the alternator kicking on! What could be draining my battery if the battery itself isn't bad?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

How old is the battery?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

What could be draining my battery if the battery itself isn't bad?
If not the battery or alternator, plenty of YouTube videos on checking for parasitic drain loss. Will need a meter and some electrical knowledge for that.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 PM

I'm not sure of the age of the battery, but since Autozone tested it as "good" I assumed it didn't need replaced. My nephew is an electrical guru and has a volt meter so I'll see if he can check it out. I may just get a new battery anyway. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

How do you know the clicking is the alternator? What is the voltage at the battery when this is occurring? If the alternator is not charging you should be getting less than 13 volts.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Have you had the alternator tested?

Are you certain it is the alternator making the sounds?

I am highly dubious of the battery test. You cannot determine a battery is good when it is only charged 35%. It must be at full charge to determine if it is still good as a load test is required.

At this point we would just be guessing what is going on. You need to start a proper diagnostic and eliminate potential issues.

First we need to know for certain what is happening with that battery.

It needs to be removed, charged fully and then tested. If you don't have a charger then a good parts store will have a tester with a built in charger but you will need to leave the battery to be fully charged before it can be tested.

If that checks out the next step is the alternator. A simply multi tester can give you enough information. Test at the battery and you should see about 14 volts with the truck running.

If both of those check out, then start looking at connection points. Remove, clean and put back together all connections at the battery, starter, alternator and various grounds.

After all that, then chase a drain. A voltage drain is highly unusual.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by etekberg
How do you know the clicking is the alternator? What is the voltage at the battery when this is occurring? If the alternator is not charging you should be getting less than 13 volts.
First time was 35%, second time was 61%.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18

I am highly dubious of the battery test. You cannot determine a battery is good when it is only charged 35%. It must be at full charge to determine if it is still good as a load test is required.

At this point we would just be guessing what is going on. You need to start a proper diagnostic and eliminate potential issues.

It needs to be removed, charged fully and then tested. If you don't have a charger then a good parts store will have a tester with a built in charger but you will need to leave the battery to be fully charged before it can be tested.

If that checks out the next step is the alternator. A simply multi tester can give you enough information. Test at the battery and you should see about 14 volts with the truck running.

If both of those check out, then start looking at connection points. Remove, clean and put back together all connections at the battery, starter, alternator and various grounds.

No, I'm not positive its the alternator, but that's all I can come up with it. I've tried searching Google and YouTube for the noise and can't find anything similar. If I knew how to post a video here I would because I recorded it.

I did charge the battery after removing the Platinum Protection, but didn't take it out of the truck if that makes a difference.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Trish1974
First time was 35%, second time was 61%.
Poster was referring to volts and you are talking about the percentage of charge that battery had.

Follow what I posted and find a better place to get the battery checked, or at least make sure you go during the day so as not to have the night kids look at it
The following users liked this post:
Trish1974 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18

^^^This.

I am doubting you have a drain at all and if your battery is original I would bet money it is bad.