General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best I could get on a trade in

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best I could get on a trade in

Hey guys, haven't been a member long but have lurked for some time. I bought my f-150 Platinum almost 5 months ago on z-plan. I absolutely love this truck. However, I'm a speed guy at heart and the itch to pick up a 2013 GT500 is starting to need a scratch. With my job situation changing, I also no longer need the size and space of the truck. I know I will take a hit here, but if it comes to only a few thousand dollars after both deals are done, I'm willing to accept that. My main question here is what is the absolute most I could expect to get for a trade in and on a private sale? The highest I've seen so far is 37k. I'm trying to decide if I'm better off selling it on my own, or trading it in and taking the tax credit. Anyone traded or sold their 2012 recently?

The Platinum is black on black, has nav, sunroof, ecoboost, limited slip, tailgate step, and just under 15k miles. Truck looks and drives brand new minus scratches in the exposed bed.

I had a member on another forum suggest I find a buyer, then take them to a dealer and tell the dealer I was going to trade the truck in, and the buyer would immediately buy it for that price and offer to pay any fees, essentially getting the best of both worlds. But I see that being very difficult as most dealers won't do this unless you buy a car from them. Its already hard enough finding a dealer to sell me a GT500 at MSRP.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:13 AM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

I just sold my 2011 XLT 5.0, 4x4, 3.55, 9,700 miles on July 12th
I went to Carmax and they said the truck was only worth 26,000 on trade , I owed 34,000 on it.
I left Carmax and went to Baxter ford.

They gave me 30,000 for it and after canceling the warranty, oil changes, and all other cancelable stuff I was 2k upside down.

Red truck is the one I traded.
Black one is the new truck.

I know it needs running boards and new rims to make it look better. Hopefully they'll treat you right If you're going to spend 50,000+ dollars.

I needed to do this to start saving more money for a house. I'm tired of living in an apartment
Attached Thumbnails What is the best I could get on a trade in-image-978476955.jpg   What is the best I could get on a trade in-image-881807628.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2010stx4by4
I just sold my 2011 XLT 5.0, 4x4, 3.55, 9,700 miles on July 12th
I went to Carmax and they said the truck was only worth 26,000 on trade , I owed 34,000 on it.
I left Carmax and went to Baxter ford.

They gave me 30,000 for it and after canceling the warranty, oil changes, and all other cancelable stuff I was 2k upside down.

Red truck is the one I traded.
Black one is the new truck.

I know it needs running boards and new rims to make it look better. Hopefully they'll treat you right If you're going to spend 50,000+ dollars.

I needed to do this to start saving more money for a house. I'm tired of living in an apartment
Nothing wrong with that my man! So wait a minute, you can cancel an extended warranty? I def bought this and id not know you could cancel it. That is very interesting. Lowest I've been offered is 33k highest was 37k. I would be happy with a 40k trade in or a private sale of 42.5k . 2500 is about what I'd receive in tax credit on the trade in here in Texas. You would with me spending 65k they would work something out, but that does not seem to be the case on the Shelbys. Same old they're limited run blah blah blah bs. But deals are alway out there.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

you can cancel the Ford ESP and/or PMP...its prorated based off the time left and mileage accured. also, there's a $75 "ADMIN" fee for cancelling it.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I learned from the dealers earlier this year in trading in my 2012 Tundra is that there is a limited market and data for used 2012 vehicles. Therefore, most dealers will use the 2011 model year to price out your vehicle.

So what I'd recommend doing is going to kbb and getting the trade in price for a 2011 with similar features and don't take anything less than that number for sure. Keep reminding them it's a 2012 to try to get a little more.

Buying a car like that, you should be able to get a favorable trade!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:25 PM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOutUT
Nothing wrong with that my man! So wait a minute, you can cancel an extended warranty? I def bought this and id not know you could cancel it. That is very interesting. Lowest I've been offered is 33k highest was 37k. I would be happy with a 40k trade in or a private sale of 42.5k . 2500 is about what I'd receive in tax credit on the trade in here in Texas. You would with me spending 65k they would work something out, but that does not seem to be the case on the Shelbys. Same old they're limited run blah blah blah bs. But deals are alway out there.
Only one problem with this. I don't see anyone buying a used 2012 from a private seller for 42K when they can buy a new one for that price. I certainly wish you luck...GT500's are pretty sweet rides.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by MSTR-P
Only one problem with this. I don't see anyone buying a used 2012 from a private seller for 42K when they can buy a new one for that price. I certainly wish you luck...GT500's are pretty sweet rides.
This is kinda what I was thinking. Had a guy offer me 38k for it privately, but I'd be better off trading it in at that price. As I said if I could swing 40k out of the trade I'd be set.

Another question someone might know. I bought this truck on Z-Plan. Well in the fine print is says you must keep the vehicle for at least 6 months before selling it. Does anyone know if this can be fudged if your buying another ford NOT on Z-plan?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

I talked to my salesman Sam, at Baxter Ford about a boss 302 Mustang , and he said the mark up on that car is about 20,000.00 maybe more. He also said that's because there is a limited production to 3000 cars.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2010stx4by4
I talked to my salesman Sam, at Baxter Ford about a boss 302 Mustang , and he said the mark up on that car is about 20,000.00 maybe more. He also said that's because there is a limited production to 3000 cars.
I know the Boss SC is a limited run, but can't speak on the regular Boss. The GT500 is by no means a limited run. Ford has made it very clear they will build as many as people will order. However, I've seen markups on them as high as 25k. That is just insane. They can and have been had for MSRP & even a few under. They are just mighty hard to track down, and add the truck trade into the mix and it gets even more difficult.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM

If anyone is in this same boat, looks like KBB has the 2012 up now. They didn't have that up as little as a week ago. They have my truck listed private party = 42k & trade in at 38.5k

Quick Reply: What is the best I could get on a trade in