Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding stock muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding stock muffler

Hey guys,
After searching and searching previous posts, I have not been able to find an answer, so I figured it was time to ask on here. I have a 10' F150 with a hundred some odd thousand miles. I think
it is time to change the stock muffler over to a 22" magnaflow, which will be their quietest muffler since it has the greatest volume. My plans are to do a straight swap, but a few years down the road I will most likely want to put back on my stock muffler since I will be using the truck for my ranch and will want it to be a quiet as possible. Long story short, will a shop be able to cut off my maggie in a few years and weld back on my stock muffler?
Thanks
PS: I'm not sure I posted this in the right place.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

As long as you keep the sticker, should be no problem.

I've had 3 different mufflers (including my stocker) on the truck, and had the resonator cut out then welded back in later.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Coincidentally, I had a shop put a 22" Magnaflow SI/DO muffler on my 5.0 this evening. I brought in the muffler and they ran new pipes, dual side out.

I got this one
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=12588

I don't think you will need the old muffler. It's really not much louder than stock, just a deeper tone. You don't really hear it unless you step on it.

That's my impression after the 20 minute drive home lol. I like it so far but can give you a better opinion tomorrow, maybe shoot a video as well.

The guy who installed mine told me the same thing bigred90gt said, he could cut out the resonator to make it louder and weld it back in later if I didn't like it.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the input guys!
Thanks BlueCornChips, keep me posted on how it breaks in. I am very curious, as it seems not too many folks are running that size muffler.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I hear ya, I was also searching for info but only found people with the 5.4 running this muffler. I didn't want something too loud and definitely achieved that!

I could barely hear it yesterday in rush hour downtown city traffic. There's lots of people driving **** boxes that have half the power our trucks have and exhaust systems 10x louder.

It's definitely louder than stock when you really get on it but no louder if you gently accelerate. I love the sound and it could even be a touch louder. I m happy with my decision though.

As people say it could be the placebo effect but I feel like a did pick up a tiny bit of power. Comparable to the throttle response difference between 87-91 octane fuel. Although some people will try and debate that too!

Last edited by BlueCornChips; 05-30-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 AM

Well I think I am going to pull the trigger on the 22" Maggie. For the 2010s I know I need a center/offset to replace the stock but can't decide whether to get 3" or 2.5" inlet/outlet since the piping is 2.75". Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Welding stock muffler