General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight in box for winter ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:06 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Weight in box for winter ?

I live in upstate ny and we get lots of snow, I haven’t driven my 13 Screw Lariat in the snow , I have a winter beater and my truck stays in my polebarn salt free !
But when my Buick bites the dust I’ll be driving the truck. Most guys around here toss some tubes and bags in the back.
Is this advisable ? And if so how many or how much weight ?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts

If you leave the box open, you can get instant weight when it snows.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:49 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Discussed often. With a 4x4, no weight is needed if you have good all season tires. If you want weight, about 300 pounds over the axle.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems like the weight makes sense even in a 4x4
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

There are many threads on this. A good driver, with tires that aren't worn out, and 4x4, won't need anything in normal driving. Weight helps the truck not slide out in turns if you drive like an idiot. It also helps if you don't know to accelerate slowly from a light, like some idiots on the road don't know.

You have 4x4 Auto. If you're in deep snow, at a stop sign, and trying to go straight across a busy road (not turn), pull your ELD and then step on the gas after it has kicked in, then turn it off after you're through the intersection.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

The traction control worked really well on my 13. I never needed anything in the bed other than the snow that fell into it. First truck I've owned that didn't need weight, or an occasional help from 4 hi.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Needed....probably not if you are sensible.
Depends on your vehicle / equipment / tires / etc.
Depends on your driving skills.
Depends on the type of weather / temperatures you get.

I still use about 200lbs as I like how it handles with that weight in the snow, not that I 'need' it.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I've noticed a screw has a lot more weight on the rear axle than a single cab does. Even when I drove extended cab Rangers I always put 200 lbs in the bed since the bed was so light, but since I've driven crew cabs I've found the weight isn't needed. And yeah, like other's have said with 4x4 it really isn't needed regardless.

If you still feel better adding weight go ahead, 200lbs is all you need and place it directly over the rear axle. You'll need to use some 2x4's in the bed to make sure the weight doesn't slide. If your truck is a 2WD, I'd probably add 300lbs. Keep in mind, good tires will trump weight. With a combination of both a 2WD will still be able to go 90% of the places a 4x4 will.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are someone who doesn't like to engage 4x4 for some reason, then having some weight on or behind the rear axle will help you out. This is my first winter with a truck (I bought it specifically for winter use) and I noticed right away that it is much different than my rwd car in the winter when just in 2wd. The rear end seems to float a bit so you'll want to be careful going around turns compared to probably how your car handled.

I don't run any weight in the back, I just put it in 4A and wet/snow mode and it does just fine. My thought is that you can easily get around without weight if you utilize your 4x4 and drive reasonably. If you don't want to have to worry about it then put some weight in the bed and be sure to secure it down.

Also, I'm sure you're aware, but don't just drive around in 4H when the roads are bone dry.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by RubyRed18
If you are someone who doesn't like to engage 4x4 for some reason, then having some weight on or behind the rear axle will help you out. This is my first winter with a truck (I bought it specifically for winter use) and I noticed right away that it is much different than my rwd car in the winter when just in 2wd. The rear end seems to float a bit so you'll want to be careful going around turns compared to probably how your car handled.

I don't run any weight in the back, I just put it in 4A and wet/snow mode and it does just fine. My thought is that you can easily get around without weight if you utilize your 4x4 and drive reasonably. If you don't want to have to worry about it then put some weight in the bed and be sure to secure it down.

Also, I'm sure you're aware, but don't just drive around in 4H when the roads are bone dry.
I think you pretty much nailed why some people put weight in the back even when they have 4WD. Most of us don't have 4A, so we drive around in 2WD and switch to 4WD as needed. Having weight in the bed takes care of needing to switch to 4x4 most of the time, like if I'm leaving a parking lot full of snow and need more traction to get ahead of traffic but I'm pulling onto a cleared road where 4WD isn't needed.

Quick Reply: Weight in box for winter ?