General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Fuse/Water Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Fuse/Water Pump Problems

Hello, I have a 1988 Ford F-150 V6. Recently the serpentine belt broke, once replaced, it would spin to start and then stop. I thought it was power steering, replaced that. Now it spins, but the pulley on the water pump doesn't spin, the belt just goes over it. Is there a fuse located somewhere that will fix this, or will I need a new water pump? Thanks!

Last edited by pilotspidy; 08-19-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

First, I assume the belt broke because of the frozen pulley and will break again if you don't fix it. There is no fuse for the water pump. The pump will need to be replaced if it's frozen. While you have the belt off check all of the other pulleys too. I'm sure on a 30 year old truck some idler pulleys are shot also.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The belt originally broke. I bought a new one but it turned only to start the engine and then locked up. I thought it was the power steering so I started there and replaced hoses and power steering part. Now the engine turns, the belt spins, but it spins over the water pump pulley without turning it. I'm hoping that replacing the water pump will fix this! I'm also going to replace the fan clutch and thermostat while i'm at it just in case. The tension pulley seems fine, it spins and when I had the belt off I checked it for play or wiggle issues and it was solid.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

FAn clutch and thermostat will not cause your water pump to not turn.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Phyer Phyter
FAn clutch and thermostat will not cause your water pump to not turn.
No they won't but with the age of the truck it's not a bad idea to replace them proactively.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotspidy
Hello, I have a 1988 Ford F-150 V6.
I don't think so - a V6 wasn't offered in '88. Click this, read the caption, study your truck, and put ALL its details into your signature:

(phone app link)
I thought it was power steering...
Why? What led you to that conclusion?
...the pulley on the water pump doesn't spin...
Did you check it by hand when the belt was off? Check them all for looseness, wobbling, grinding, stiffness (the PS & air pumps will always be stiff), noise, or being seized.
Is there a fuse located somewhere that will fix this...
No. Fuses protect electrical wires (as their primary function) & allow electrical devices to work (as a side-effect); they don't control mechanisms.
I'm also going to replace the fan clutch and thermostat while i'm at it just in case.
Bad idea. Original parts are the best. Replacing them unnecessarily introduces potential problems. If it's not on the maintenance schedule, only replace it when it fails a published test. Read these captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Old 08-22-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
I don't think so - a V6 wasn't offered in '88.
Good catch, completely overlooked that. The only 6 offered in 88 was an I6 300cid.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Na, in wv its18 degrees right now.

I'm ready for spring already and it's not officially winter yet, ugh...
Old 12-20-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

This is kind of a strange thread at least to me.
The OPer for some reason suspects the power steering pump pulley is seized frozen causing the belt to snap and replaces it. Why? Apparently thought so!
With the broken belt off it could of been easy to test every single pulley before 'apparently' troubleshooting by the 'eenie-meenie-mo' method..

OPer if the water pump is indeed seized replace it sooner not later
If the water pump's pulley shaft ever snaps its likely good by radiator or worse.

I disagree with not replacing the fan clutch.
For an old 1988 vehicle with likely tons of mileage on it, IMO all bets are off far as any new vehicle maints.schedule.
While in there replacing the water pump i myself would replace the fan clutch as a PM item especially if the engine tends to overheat in hot weather.
And that goes for the thermostat too. Who knows it might even be the original 32 year old thermostat.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by moparado
And that goes for the thermostat too. Who knows it might even be the original 32 year old thermostat.
Why stop there? Just replace everything - even the frame & suspension. You KNOW they're original 32-y.o. parts.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Fuse/Water Pump Problems