Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer fluid streaking the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Washer fluid streaking the paint?

I have a strange problem I did not have with my last truck. Both my 2011 and 2018 are Ingot Silver, but for some reason the Rainex washer fluid streaks the paint horribly on the '18, but not the '11. 🤔 going down the road if I spray it to clean the windshield, and then get out, there are lines all over the paint down the sides of the truck, and they are actually stuck to it. You can't wipe them off. You have to actually scrub it off. I would just assume it's the fluid and change brands, but I have used Rainex Bug Remover for years and have never seen this until I got the 2018 F150. I guess it's not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying and strange that it has never done this until I got this truck. Maybe the truck needs a good wax coat, or maybe there is an additive for this that can be added to the spray. Or maybe just the aerodynamics of the new body causing it to flow down the sides. As mentioned, not that big of a deal, just kind of a nuisance when you have a clean truck, and then get out and it looks like you ran a big tree limb all the way down the paint.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

Your post caught my interest as i was also wondering about Rain-X bug remover as my windshield gets bug zapped every time i drive my truck
I've used it in the past with no issues but in my experience it doesn't remove bug guts much better than the cheaper stuff.
From the RainX website:

Product Features

• Instantly applies Rain‑X® technology to the windshield
  • Powers off bugs & road grime
  • Repels rain, mud and soil for greater visibility
  • Effective to 32° F
  • Available in 1 gallon size
Maybe its the Rain-X water beading technology thats causing the problem. I think its some sort of wax to cause water beading on the windshield.
Try a different washer fluid and see what happens.

Could it be also that your hood needs a good wax job?
Old 08-20-2018, 12:54 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

One of my trucks is 24 years old. It has failing clear coat on the hood and top of cab. It started around the washer fluid nozzles and top of the cab at the front edge. The top of the cabs damage started wide and tapered off backwards....I attribute the damage to washer fluid, but cannot blame a brand. This truck was waxed several times a year for its first 15 or so years.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

Washer fluid eating paint is probably due to methanol or other solvent de-icers typically used in washer fluids especially in the Winter varieties.

Over years of continuous use, i could see how those solvents could take a toll on paint and maybe even some plastics.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry I havent logged back on here in a week or two. Interesting stuff, the thought of the additives causing the paint to degrade is kind of worrisome. I wonder if there is a fluid that is better than another that would be smart to switch to, or if they are all the same thing.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:04 PM
2018 XLT FX4

Received 641 Likes on 396 Posts

Quick Reply: Washer fluid streaking the paint?