General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped Front Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped Front Brake Rotors

I without a doubt I know this problem has been discussed on this forum previously, but I really need some advice regarding the problem of warped front brakes rotors on my 2008 Ford F150 pickup.

This vehicles has less than 50,000 miles, was purchased new. As of today (June 1, 2018) the front brake rotors have been replaced seven (7) times. They were last replaced on March 12, 2018 and they are warped again causing a severe vibration when braking. The vehicle has been driven 7,213 miles since replacement.

They were replaced three (3) times under warranty and they last four times out of pocket expense.

The service manager at the Ford Agency where I purchased the vehicle suggested I contact Ford Motor Company Customer Service and see if they have any suggestions or solutions. I did so and received reply that I need to contact the Service Manager at my Ford Agency and they offered nothing more.

This might not be so bad if the rotors utilized on this vehicle are the type that also include the front wheel bearings and hub assembly making them very expensive.

I have tried Genuine Ford Replacement Parts and replacement parts from other sources, same problem. Within 8,000 miles they all warped.

Anybody else had this problem? Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations?
Old 06-01-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Suggested reading: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

And torque your wheel lugs to spec using a torque wrench.

Last edited by mtber; 06-01-2018 at 06:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DallasCop2566 (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

#1 Unless you are braking, KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE BRAKE PEDAL. *HINT: It's NOT a foot rest, nor intended to be.

#2 Learn how to drive such that EVERY stop is not a panic, slam-on-the-brakes-stop.

#3 Don't drag the brakes.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

mtber beat me to it. So called "warped" brakes are most likely deposits on the rotor and not actually warped. I have done hundreds of brake jobs and whenever I got one in where the were pedal pulsations, and shaking wheel, 90% of them you could clearly see a pad imprint on the rotor, and the lathe chatter was usually on that one spot. Rarely did I have a rotor that went chi chi (thats the sound the cutters make on each side of the disk on high spots) on the lather that indicted a truly warped disk.

Now I have had brand new rotors come out of the box warped because some idiot dropped them in the warehouse. It got so bad at one point that we would put them on the lathe before the car just to make sure they were true.

Easiest way to cause a "warped" rotor is to drive them hot and then sit at a long light with the brakes firmly pressed, then drive off and do a lot of stop and go driving. That hot spot on the rotor where the pads were pressed will collect pad material and eventually harden, and builds up over time, and boom there you go, pedal pulsations.

The only car I ever worked on where rotor warpage was an issue was a certain model of Honda, not sure if it was Civic or Accord, but if you did not cut the rotor on the car, they would runout. Even new disks would have runout, so the rotors had to be cut on the car. That was the only one I had issues with.

Quick Reply: Warped Front Brake Rotors