Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait for better rebates or buy now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pricing Advice, Wait for better rebates or buy now?

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a 2019 scab XLT. I am very picky with the options I want or lack there of. I am looking for
V8
4x4
Trailer hitch.
That's it!

I have found a few of these trucks on dealer lots. Most of them have been there since 10/2018, 11/2018, 12/2018.
I have been talking with one dealer about an hour drive from my house, who has the truck on the lot the only extra option it has is 3.73 locker (which is ok with me). MSRP at the bottom of the window sticker is $ 44,650. He gave me a phone quote of $38,850 out the door. Telling me he is making literally $0 on the deal.

My question(s) are do you think he is telling the truth? Can I do better? And should I continue to work this deal or wait for Ford to release more rebates around labor day or end of year?

I am not in a rush to buy, I currently have a clean 2009 Sierra reg cab with 65,000 mi. Only reason I am looking to get rid of it is I need a second row of seats so I can transport my kids safely.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Spillercb21; 07-23-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Make title more descriptive
Old 07-23-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Skip the super cab and go for the crew cab. I just came out of a scab lease which I planned on buying out in January for $22k because driving 600 miles to Virginia with 2 kids and cargo in a super cab was too little room, also my daughter kicked the back of my chair one time too many. You could more than likely get into an STX crew for about the same money as the XLT supercab.
The following users liked this post:
phsycle (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 1,279 Likes on 899 Posts

I agree. In the long run you'll end up paying less for a Supercrew, rather than buying a Scab now and trading up to a Screw in a few years. Even if your budget means buying used. I raised 2 kids, have 4 grandkids now with a 5th due in October. The biggest mistake I made was trying to go cheap and make do with vehicles that didn't get the job done. I'd have come out better if I'd bought a crew cab truck for myself and a full size SUV for my wife when my kids were still in the single digit age range and just kept them for 10-15 years.

You can get the kids back there when they are small, but if they are still in car seats it is a PITA. Plus kids have a habit of growing, and eventually wanting to bring along friends. The front doors on a Scab are longer making them harder to open when parked close to other vehicles too.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 4,777 Likes on 2,819 Posts

I am 99% certain you will regret it if you get a super cab

My dad has a super cab (hate having to use it with the kids, have a lot) , I went from an suv to a super crew, trust me... with kids... you want the screw
Old 07-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL @ a car salesman telling the truth about the price of the vehicle. He’s 100% making money on the deal - never believe them when they say that. To put things in perspective my 2018 XLT SCAB stickered for over $48K and I got it for a bit more than $35K after rebates and incentives but before TTL. He can do a lot better on the price.
The following users liked this post:
phsycle (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Corn Fed Coyote

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone is telling you to go with the Screw and while I agree it's probably the best option for most people, the Scab has it's place. I personally like having a 6.5' bed with the same length as a Screw short bed. I also like the look, personal preference that's all. It should be noted I only have a single little one so parents with a bunch of kids will likely think differently.
The following 3 users liked this post by TexMex 90:
capt911 (07-24-2019), MarineLDO (07-24-2019), MotoMike (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I had a Scab when i was single and no kids.. motorcycle .. it was perfect .. very uncomfortable for my friend who had to drive in the back from CT to SC ..

now i have a Screw and man.. the room back there is amazing .. even with the seat all the way back at 6'3 i can sit back there with lots of room.. i now use a ready ramp (ramp/bed extender) when i carry my motorcycle
Old 07-23-2019, 02:28 PM

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Tell him $36,250 out the door is the best you can do, and you'll come in and buy right away if they meet your price. Then wait and keep shopping around. I bet you'll hear back from them in a week or two if the truck is still sitting. If at that time, they come close with a counter-offer, say $36,550, buy it. If they're still up around $37,750 let it sit some more.

If you find a killer deal on a truck somewhere and can get the price they're willing to sell it to you in writing, you can use that to leverage a great deal on the real truck you want at another dealership too. Especially if it's a nearby competing dealership.

The SCAB will be easier to swing a deal one because everybody wants the SCREW since it carries passengers better and is easier to open the doors at the mall. But if you'd rather use it more like a truck than a passenger vehicle, the SCAB is the way to go. I doubt I could fit a bear in the back of the SCREW without it hanging off the tailgate.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by stubborn hook
Tell him $36,250 out the door is the best you can do, and you'll come in and buy right away if they meet your price. Then wait and keep shopping around. I bet you'll hear back from them in a week or two if the truck is still sitting. If at that time, they come close with a counter-offer, say $36,550, buy it. If they're still up around $37,750 let it sit some more.

If you find a killer deal on a truck somewhere and can get the price they're willing to sell it to you in writing, you can use that to leverage a great deal on the real truck you want at another dealership too. Especially if it's a nearby competing dealership.

The SCAB will be easier to swing a deal one because everybody wants the SCREW since it carries passengers better and is easier to open the doors at the mall. But if you'd rather use it more like a truck than a passenger vehicle, the SCAB is the way to go. I doubt I could fit a bear in the back of the SCREW without it hanging off the tailgate.
ready ramp

https://readyramp.com/

Old 07-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 461 Likes on 293 Posts

Biggest issue with the Scab IMO is the clamshell doors. Not very practical if you are going to have people getting in and out a lot. Which you almost certainly will with kids.

The following 2 users liked this post by bisonp:
Davesp (07-23-2019), SCrewYou (07-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Wait for better rebates or buy now?