General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum leak sound at 1700rpm

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vacuum leak sound at 1700rpm

My 2018 F150 with 5.0 engines has a consistent issue with a vacuum leak sound at 1700rpm. I can hear it with the window down. It's been in twice to the dealer who claims it is air rushing into the intake. They check a truck on the lot and it has the same sound. I had a rental truck while they did that and it has the sound. The ford regional rep is saying it is normal operation. I told them it's a design flaw. I am looking for anyone that has the same type of sound to chime in so I can push the issue and get ford to resolve this design flaw. Any input will be appreciated
Old 02-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 3.5 V6 ecoboost. I just started hearing mine at around 3500 km. Almost sounds like my tire is going flat or something. Seen a lot of articles on this issue. I'm hoping to wait and see if it becomes a recall because my dealership says they can't find a problem. useless ****s
Old 02-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its normal, also had it on my 2008 5.4l
Old 02-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Buy an aftermarket air filter and install that, see if that changes anything. While your at it make sure the clamps and whatnot are in order on the air intake tubing.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:26 PM

I have the same problem with my 2018 King Ranch. I refer to it as the intake whistle. I noticed mine doing it within the first few weeks of owning the truck. I did some digging around an it is fairly common. When I took mine back to the shop, the tested other trucks out on the lot and they all did it. I dont think replacing the filter will do anything but probably increase the noise. You can almost pinpoint it to a certain pressure on the pedal. I think the issue has to deal with throttle bodies ford used for these trucks. Something inside when applying the right amount of the throttle combined with the air flow is causing the whistle. I saw one post where the guy took his throttle body off and light sanded any rough edges, amongst other things and he basically made the sound go away all together. Some people only experience the issue in colder weather. I am waiting for it be like 90 out and see if it goes away. If not, I may buy an aftermarket throttle body for the truck along with a CAI.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 PM

I've got a 2018 lariat 3.5 with an AIC and the AFE twin cone CAI with a 91 performance tune from MPT. While it was stock, my engine not once to my knowledge made this air release noise coming from the drivers side engine bay compartment. As soon as I installed my Full Race intercooler along with my tune is when I first heard the noise. That was at 3,800 miles. Last week at 5,000 miles, I installed the new CAI and it actually allowed the air release noise to be louder it seems! This noise is always heard after about 10 or so seconds of idling. To stop the air leak noise, I rev my engine to 2,500 rpm's for about 3 to 5 seconds and the noise completely disappears and will stay gone until I again let the engine go to idle. It makes this noise whether I am in park or I am in drive. My engine bays air leak sounds like "tss tss tss tss tss" over and over again as if it is leaking this air at a consistant speed of the rpm's of the engine.

I don't feel any loss of power. I don't feel rough idle. I don't know WHERE the heck the air leak noise is coming from as I can't seem to locate it anywhere, but that's what I have going on and I would also like to solve this problem!
Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

Just about any actual vacuum leak is going to trigger a code. They whistle, whoosh, and otherwise make noise....I wouldn't worry.