Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unistrut for Bed Rails/Bicycle Rack

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Unistrut for Bed Rails/Bicycle Rack

I'm wondering if anyone has done anything with unistrut in their truck beds. I want to fab up a rack to mount my bicycles. I have the holes in the sides of the bed to install a cargo management system so that is one possibility. I've also looked at using the stake pockets and have considered them as another option. I don't have access to weld so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

The key points are:
  • I'd like it to be bolted without drilling
  • I'd like it to be removable if I need the full bed for something
  • I don't want it flapping around

Bike racks are pricey for anything decent, and even then, it seems kinda weak with too many options for easy theft. Probably won't leave it unattended much, but if I wanna run in to grab post ride "drinks", I don't want it to be a 5 minute job for a thief.

Anyone ever used unistrut for this type of thing? I'd rather make as few trips to the hardware store as possible. And, I don't want to drill into any part of the bed.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont know about using strut for this sort of project, but strut is very strong, reasonably priced, and is almost like a lego set to put together

B-Line makes lots of hardware for strut and if you look at what they have you will probably find what ever you'll need to make your rack with what ever extra tie off points you could use
The following users liked this post:
vtatds (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bell Blue Raider
I dont know about using strut for this sort of project, but strut is very strong, reasonably priced, and is almost like a lego set to put together

B-Line makes lots of hardware for strut and if you look at what they have you will probably find what ever you'll need to make your rack with what ever extra tie off points you could use
Their catalog(s) are what I've been trying to find. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom bike rack

I bought a 4 foot piece of steel from home depot for $10 and spent $1.25 on parts. I used the original holes. I love this set up, you lower the tail gate and the bike comes to you! Very easy loading and unloading.
Attached Thumbnails Unistrut for Bed Rails/Bicycle Rack-photo-3.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by xxxx51xxxx
I bought a 4 foot piece of steel from home depot for $10 and spent $1.25 on parts. I used the original holes. I love this set up, you lower the tail gate and the bike comes to you! Very easy loading and unloading.
That is freaking brilliant!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 AM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by vtatds

That is freaking brilliant!
X2
Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by xxxx51xxxx
Can you take a close-up picture of the bracket that the bike attaches to? I think I want to duplicate this as it would be perfect for me.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06F150CFCT
Can you take a close-up picture of the bracket that the bike attaches to? I think I want to duplicate this as it would be perfect for me.
Yes, I would love to do this as well!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 PM

I looked around for some unistrut but didn't find the items I was looking for so I went with xxxx51xxxx's setup. I need to buy another piece of steel cause 4' wasn't quite enough for two.

I stacked some washers under the steel to help raise it up a little so the bolts under the bike mount wouldn't push against the inside of the tailgate. Here's some close-ups of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails Unistrut for Bed Rails/Bicycle Rack-attachment_bottom.jpg   Unistrut for Bed Rails/Bicycle Rack-washers.jpg   Unistrut for Bed Rails/Bicycle Rack-mount.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM

So in the 3rd picture, the thing that the bike actually attaches to at the end of the fork, what is that? Just a random bracket with a dowel type thing that is free so it can swivel? I am just wondering what that other bracket is and if that is something that can be found at home depot or wherever or if it is a specialty part that is integrated into the homemade steel rail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unistrut for Bed Rails/Bicycle Rack