General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding Engine brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding Engine brake

I have a 2017 F-150 XL. We go snow skiing a couple times a week in it. When I am coming down the canyon(16% grade) the engine braking does one of two things. I force the truck into 1st or 2nd gear and start down the canyon. At first, it feels like the engine brakes are almost non-existent. Then the truck feels like it flips a switch and the engine brake works beautifully. When it's engine braking this way, I don't even have to use my brakes that much. As we continue down the canyon, sometimes the truck just switches the engine brake back off and I have to overuse my brakes again... My question is, can I control this somehow? I want the engine brake to engage sooner and more dependable.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

You can use the +/- on the shifter to lock out gears and force it into a lower gear
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM

I do that, that's how I am forcing the truck into 1st and 2nd. But that doesn't seem to alone activate the engine brake super mode.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

i almost wonder if you are only feeling the TC lock/unlock.
The following 2 users liked this post by djfllmn:
chimmike (01-08-2019), HangDiver (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought the engine brake only works when you are in tow / haul mode no? Do you have hill descent?
Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

The engine braking is simply having the engine locked to the transmission in a low enough gear to slow you down. On an auto, this is done with the torque converter. I agree it sounds like yours is unlocking. I've never used the manual mode much, but simply locking out gears and using the tow haul/mode works well for me. Tow/haul should keep you in a lower gear and keep the engine braking engaged. If you need to downshift, either lockout the gears with the (-) button on the shifter, or give a quick, firm press of the brake pedal. A slight tap of the gas pedal will usually up-shift if needed.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM

No, I don't have hill decent.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:52 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

There is no "engine brake"/exhaust brake/jake brake. Engine braking occurs when you do as you have done, keep it in lower gear so the revs are high and the engine acts like an air pump. But what is this 'engine brake super mode' you're talking about? I've never heard of it.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike
There is no "engine brake"/exhaust brake/jake brake. Engine braking occurs when you do as you have done, keep it in lower gear so the revs are high and the engine acts like an air pump. But what is this 'engine brake super mode' you're talking about? I've never heard of it.
"Engine break super mode" does not exist as stated on our vehicles, you are simply downshifting, causing your engine to rev faster, which creates more friction and air pressure to slow the vehicle. It is not very effective and revs the engine potentially quite fast. Very different than a traditional exhaust bake which essentially blocks part of the exhaust via a valve in the engine or a flap in the exhaust to create massive back pressure and resistance. This resistance is then applied to the transmission in conjunction with the transmission while keeping the gearing lower to create the most resistance or resulting braking.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty sure we have exhaust brake/ engine brake but only when the trailer is connected, and in tow mode. It sounds just like a Jake brake on a big rig except it’s a v6 so way quieter but does slow the whole truck and trailer down dramatically. If I step on the brakes hard with the tranny in drive and no gears locked out, the rpms do jump way up when this is happening but it only does this with a trailer connected and in tow mode.

Quick Reply: Understanding Engine brake