General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercoating my truck frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercoating my truck frame

I recently purchased my first truck and I didn't notice it when I bought the truck but the frame was rusty. What is the best undercoating process and products that last a long time? Also, I want an undercoating that is black to match my truck. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Wire wheel the frame as well as you can and apply Black Por15 , Chassis Saver, or another similar rust treating product. You could then apply black 3m Professional Grade Undercoating on top of the paint for further protection but it may not be needed. I basically just removed the frame rust on my old Silverado with a wire welder, painted it, and touched up as needed over the years with good results. If you just spray undercoating on it, you will just be covering it up, and not actually treating the rust.

Last edited by Encinoman; 01-29-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I like to use an oil based undercoating more than anything else because you can spray it absolutely anywhere, it creeps into all those nooks and crannies that you cannot see, it lubricates the chassis, it seals electrical connections and it soaks into the rust and deprives it of oxygen. I use a dripless product called DuraShield and I know it is dripless because I spray about 4 gallons of this stuff at a time on my truck and I have never found a single drop in the driveway (4 gallons is nuts by the way). I use the DIY kit that NAPA sells but I cut off the pollyflow tubing so that I have a 8-10 inch stub. I than need to get back about 4 feet and brother do I ever soak what I am aiming at. The most annoying part is that I am constantly re-filling the sprayer bottle. I apply this stuff once per year usually on a nice day in September.....it comes in black and clear and runs $150 Canadian.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Boulevard! If I use this durashield stuff, do I have to sand down the whole frame? Or do I just knock off the loose rust and spray it on?
Old 01-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by masonresh10
I recently purchased my first truck and I didn't notice it when I bought the truck but the frame was rusty. What is the best undercoating process and products that last a long time? Also, I want an undercoating that is black to match my truck. Thanks in advance!
krown.com I took my new 2016 lariat to them. $150 Canadian they drill holes in doors pillars. Spray their product everywhere. They guarantee the work. IMO it's better then that black tar like stuff my 2012 had. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:19 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You do not have to sand or brush or do anything anything just spray it on, spray lots of it on, and let it soak in. The oil will than soak into the rust and metal all the way to the metals pores and form a barrier that the air/water simply cannot penetrate. This will protect the metal and stop the rust from getting any worse. The only trick is that the metal must be dry and free from any salts and that it must be done yearly.

The problem spots on the F150 are above the rear fenders, which is easy to get at, and at the bottom of the front fender where it meets the door. This spot is the worst. Every year I dig about 3/4 inch of muck and junk out of this little cavity.

I am a DIY self kind of person and because the product is only $150 for 5 gallons I go positively nuts and I darn near spray the whole 5 gallons. I do not remove headlights or tail lights or anything because with the spray 'nozzle' that I use simply drenches everything but if I were to take it to a shop than I would go with what ^^ said and take it to Crown.

If you do take it to a shop to have it done than recognize that even Crown is only as good as the guy who sprays it. I doubt very much that they are going to dig out that ****ty little spot at the bottom of the front fenders or clean out the mud sitting on top of the rear fender well....you still have to do your prep work.

I will not use anything that dries or acts like paint or tar.

Quick Reply: Undercoating my truck frame