General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners or PCM ugrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tuners or PCM ugrades?

First of all I would like to say Hey to everyone and say this is an awesome forum. I have found all kind of useful info from this site and I'm very impressed with the knowledge here. So with that being said, I need some advice or help. I just bought a 05 FX4 S-crew and I love the truck. I had a 03 S-crew and unfortunately it was totaled. There is a big difference between the two of the 5.4's.

My truck is all show and no go. It is WEAK!! It only has 80k and was very well taken care and has not been abused at all. One of my coils went bad so I replaced all 8 along with new plug's. It does run better no doubt but it feels like it holding back under wide open throttle. I know that the torque management is a lot of the problem but MAN it's ridiculous.

I have got a a price of 675.00 to have it dyno tuned along with the SCT tuner included. I'm just wondering is it worth it. I plan on putting on some dual exhaust and a cold air intake before I do anything just to give it that extra ump. Please share with me your best bang for your buck theory. Something you know and it's tried and true. I have seen a couple of You Tube video's but It was hard to believe that a chip changed the truck that drastically and trust me it apeared drastic to me. As if it was not the same truck.

Thanks fellas, I'm all ears.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

IMO unless you are going blown, there's no need for a full dyno tune. Most of the reputable email tunes can come within a couple hp of a dyno tune. Both are equally "safe" in their a/f trims so not much to mess up. Most places for a programmer and custom tunes is ~$400 for the email vs. the $675 you were quoted to run on the dyno. Depends if you feel watching it on the dyno is worth the extra money to you or not. For the vast majority, email tunes provide plenty.
As a side note, don't expect a large gain from changing the exhaust. Cat back exhaust modifications don't net much on these trucks. Likewise with the intake, the stock intake can be modified to flow very well. Search "Gotts mod" on here for what I'm talking about. It won't match an aftermarket CAI in flow, but both flow more than the CFMs needed for the motor and you don't sacrifice filtration efficiency like you would with an aftermarket CAI.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 PM

This what I was looking to hear. Explain e-mail tunes? Should I go buy a programmer that already comes with the tunes on it? What is the best kind? It it something simple like plug N play? Kinda like a OB2 scanner? What kind of programmer do you recommend?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Email tunes are pretty simple. You get a device capable of loading custom tunes (from either the tuner or a 3rd party supplier), and get the PCM code off of the truck either via the programmer or the stamped code on the PCM. You send the PCM code, any modifications you've done, and other pertinent information to the tuner. They take that information and create a tune specific to your truck. They email it to you, you download it to the programmer, and then program the trucks PCM.
There are two basic types of programmers, ones with canned tunes and ones that can accept custom tunes. The ones that come with tunes already are called canned tunes. Canned tunes are meant to be an improvement over the stock tune, on a completely stock truck. They are still fairly generic though and don't account for your truck's specifics. Once modifications are done that alter parameters, custom tunes are needed to account for them. A custom tune on a stock truck will still be superior to a canned tune as the canned is still very generic.
All programmers work on the same concept. They plug into the OBD II port, save your stock tune, and then rewrite the PCM with the selected tune. The programmer can then be unplugged and the tune is set. There are two options though beyond this. Some like the Gryphon and Livewire stay on the dash as a nice little pod that gives gauges for everything from tranny temp to average mpgs. Others like the Xcal3 are meant to just do the PCM flash, and then can be stored away.

As far is what is best, that's for you to decide. I'll give my suggestions and reasons, but what fits you and your budget is best.
I've dealt with tuning for a long time and custom tunes are the best for the money. There's nothing better than having a tune written specifically for your truck, driving style, altitude, etc. The person writing the tune (the tuner) is the most important part of this. An experienced tuner that has a good reputation is worth their weight in gold. There are several of these reputable tuners that do F150 tunes. Below is the links to some of their sites.
As far as devices go, it's up to you. Do you prefer having gauges or like the idea you can keep the programmer out of site? The features set the programmers themselves apart. I like the ones with the display of gauges just because you can better monitor several things. Knowing when the coolant temp rises above 210 degrees when a thermostat fails is better than the gauge on the dash that won't let you know until 230 that there is a problem. A display programmer will allow you to set up those alerts so it will let you know so you don't have to look at it ALL the time.
*A pseudo warning about programmers. Sometimes you will see threads like "The programmer fried my tranny". Understand that if you get a programmer, you still have to drive within the limits of the machine. Stomping on the gas is fun, but even a stock truck will give up the ghost sooner with abuse.

Here is my shortlist of quality programmers and tuners:
PHP's Gryphon, CS, and CTS. Note you can buy an Edge CS or CTS and they can load custom tunes to it. The older Edge Evo has to be sent to them for conversion. They also do SCT calibrations. Bill who runs PHP, wrote tunes for Ford and Edge before deciding to open his own business. One of the best in the business. They also have a forum in their support section for specific questions about their products. Bill is the only person in the country that has the rights to custom tune Edge devices and convert them to Gryphons.
http://www.powerhungryperformance.com/

SCT Livewire (dispaly) or Xcal 3 (flash)
There are several places to get SCT devices. Along with PHP here are some who specialize in SCT tunes:
Mike at 5star is a forum sponsor and has been getting rave reviews for his tunes:
http://www.5startuning.com/
Mike Troyer has been tuning trucks for years and specializes in performance packages and tunes. He has a lot of experience with heavily modified trucks.
http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl
Justin at VMP started in the mustang world and has made his way over to tuning trucks.
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by otto457:
farm_boy23 (04-27-2013), wattman1 (04-13-2021)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Go to www.5startuning and talk to mike. He will take care of you and will not leave you hanging. My post went in at the same time as otto457 above who obviously is giving great advice and knowledge. Thanks otto457 your post was very helpful to me also.

Last edited by Koolponycar; 12-06-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy an edge tuner used for $200.00 and never look back. If you find the right guy, you can try it first.
HUGE difference over stock.

PCM reflash did nothing for mine.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Otto, thanks man. I wish you were a dealer in this field because I would surely spend my money with you. I really appreciate this info and you taking the time to send me in the right direction. Thanks Bro.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Otto can u explain the defficiancy in the aftermarket intake u spoke about earlier in the thread. Im thinking about dyno tuning my truck becausw mine is blown and changing my pulleys and intake but if not needed then y get.. Any info would be great
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by roush500rc
Otto can u explain the defficiancy in the aftermarket intake u spoke about earlier in the thread. Im thinking about dyno tuning my truck becausw mine is blown and changing my pulleys and intake but if not needed then y get.. Any info would be great
There are two beefs I have with aftermarket intakes, but in your case neither will apply. Most aftermarket filters will have lower overall efficiency, so it's ability to trap dirt and silica particles will be less. This is usually only a difference of a few tenths of a percent in efficiency though. Most people with a blown truck aren't trying to get 300k miles out of the motor. So most likely having the extra ability for more CFMs and less restriction of an aftermarket intake is a greater gain than possible engine longevity in your case. The second issue is many people will put on an intake, and change the MAF environment without getting tuned for it. This leads to lean conditions and other problems. Since you're getting on the dyno and tuning this doesn't apply here either.

So in short you're getting tuned for it, you're boosted and need CFMs, and want the best power you can; don't hesitate to put on an intake to meet your requirements.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Excellent post Otto!

Quick Reply: Tuners or PCM ugrades?