General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Capabilities

Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True Capabilities

Hi all,

I am having a tough time, maybe some second thoughts about some features and packages I want on my F-150. The one I want most is the FX4 package. I like having options in everything I do but I wonder more and more is it worth it as in is it as good as they say it is? Also having a tow package at all makes me rethink it especially cause my reality says the likelyhood of me actually towing anything is low. The biggest and most current dilemma is the choice between King Ranch or Platinum. I try to force myself to go towards the King Ranch but my heart is more Platinum. I'm getting ready to make my purchase and I am delaying because I feel stuck on mostly this. This will be my first truck and want to get it right. I have a habit of thinking way to much to the point of sabotage and would really rather not do that.

Right now I am open to any and all comments and suggestions, especially ones on trim this I am truly stuck. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

Four wheel drive is important, tow package is important. FX4, King Ranch, Platinum is fluff. If resale is a consideration, you will get your money back on 4x4.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:18 AM

Received 153 Likes on 112 Posts

What options included with the Fx4 package are important to you ? It's not a trim like it used to be. It's just 2 stickers, dash bling, locker, 3.55 axle, and skid plates. You can get those options ala cart for less while picking/choosing what you need vs want.
If you are the cowboy/redneck state of mind, get the King Ranch. If you are preppy, a city boy, mani/pedi type, work in an office type, metrosexual, get the Platinum.

Now you'uns don't get your panties in a wad over that just because you happen to have one of those trims. It may or may not apply.
The following 2 users liked this post by 13XLTEco:
bcboy4ca (07-12-2019), Simon (06-13-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 AM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

If you're more of the person that sees a McDonald's cheeseburger equal to a steak, go for the XLT. It will give you the equipment you find standard in a 90's Corolla. That would be fine if it weren't for the fact that even that trim level can have a window sticker of well over $50k. For that money, you will still not have the features of a modern Civic.

Besides what is listed above, FX4 also includes rubber floor mats, supposedly upgraded shocks, and hill descent control. If you're handy, hill descent can be activated for free via FORScan from what I understand. I'll leave it up to you to decide if the package is worth it or not. It definitely is not what the old FX4 package was. It's just a package that bundles some off road type options. I peeled the stickers off, so that gives you an idea of what I think.

As for the tow package, I would not buy a truck without the tow package. That package includes additional engine and transmission coolers and, depending on the build, often includes heavier spring rates. These all add up to a better driving, longer lasting, and more capable truck.

Starting at the Lariat 502a level, you start getting a pretty nice vehicle. My favorite build is probably the 502a Sport package truck, but the Platinum and King Ranch have merits as well. All you can do is test drive them and see what fits you best.

I ended up with a Platinum, but then kind of went about making it look more like a Lariat Sport because I'm not a fan of the chrome. There's so many possibilities with F150's that I'm sure you'll find the perfect match.
The following users liked this post:
13XLTEco (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 AM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 150truckcommander
Hi all,

I am having a tough time, maybe some second thoughts about some features and packages I want on my F-150. The one I want most is the FX4 package. I like having options in everything I do but I wonder more and more is it worth it as in is it as good as they say it is? Also having a tow package at all makes me rethink it especially cause my reality says the likelyhood of me actually towing anything is low. The biggest and most current dilemma is the choice between King Ranch or Platinum. I try to force myself to go towards the King Ranch but my heart is more Platinum. I'm getting ready to make my purchase and I am delaying because I feel stuck on mostly this. This will be my first truck and want to get it right. I have a habit of thinking way to much to the point of sabotage and would really rather not do that.

Right now I am open to any and all comments and suggestions, especially ones on trim this I am truly stuck. Thanks.
This will be question and answers format...

What do you want most in the FX4 package? It’s mostly hill descent control and weak skid plates. And stickers!

What don’t you like about the tow package? It’s mostly a transmission cooler. Max tow is not what you are looking for.

King Ranch vs Platinum? Orange seats or Black/Brown. Everything else can be optioned the same.
The following users liked this post:
13XLTEco (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

FX4 is a waste of money, and the ride is horrible with those "upgraded" crappy soft shocks. My Platinum has the Max Tow and it is the best handling truck I have owned in a long time. Max Tow is the least expensive for what you get out of all options. 36 gallon tank, 3.55 elocker (which BTW if you order Max Tow and FX4, you actually pay twice for the Elocker!), HD sway bar, along with a few other goodies that can't be had alone.

If you want off road, your best bet is to make it offroad with good aftermarket parts, and not the cheap crap that Ford installs. Trim is completely up to your personal tastes, if you don't like leather, then XLT is the way to go, otherwise the rest depends on what you have to spend.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 PM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Options I would not live without, even if I didn't currently plan on towing. Tow with 2.7 or 5.0 or Max Tow with 3.5 ECO. 36 gallon tank. 3.55 or 3.73 elocker. LED lighting, adaptive cruise, keyless start. Currently have a Lariat 502 and would not get a lower trim level.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikeinatlanta:
Gigel (06-11-2019), sholxgt (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

I agree with the Max tow package comments but i'll somewhat disagree on some of the FX4 skid comments here.

If someone is gonna go rock crawling with their brand new $70K+ truck then yes the FX4 skids are inadequate.
Having said that unless the truck is modified lifted and with its long wheel base cross over spec, i myself would not even consider doing any kind of serious rock crawling with my truck.
My lifted short wheel base Jeep XJ with on board steel skids? Absolutely.

For those of us who want more under belly protection for occasional moderate off roading and don't have the time or want to monkey around installing aftermarket skids the FX4 skids are fine IMO.

Far as hill decent, it works great on my FX4.
Some of us don't have the time or the effort needed to learn Forscan in order to install/enable hill decent on a non FX4? I know i don't.
I just want to get in my truck and drive it.

For those of you who like modifying your brand new trucks, all the power to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by moparado:
66 Fairlane GT (06-18-2019), ABF150Fan (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 150truckcommander
Hi all,

Without knowing your needs for a truck and what options/luxury items are important to you, it's hard to give an answer because all of us made our own choices on trim and options based on OUR budget, needs, and wants.

I do agree with most of the other comments, the FX4 package is a joke and adds ZERO off-road capability over a regular 4x4 truck with a locker. And getting the tow package is always a good idea, there's plenty of threads on here with people asking how to add the tow package after the fact because they didn't think they needed it to begin with.

Can't answer the Platinum vs King Ranch, because you haven't stated why an XL, XLT, or Lariat doesn't have enough features for you. Or is it just about status?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Can't get FX on a RWD, but still wanted the Hill Descent. $20 and 30 minutes later, works like a charm.

If ordering a truck, you can order it with Skid plates as a no cost item. So lets say I wanted a Lariat 501a 3.5 Max Tow 4WD and wanted some of the FX4 features, but not the suspension, I could order it with skid plates only, Max Tow has the locker as part of the package so not paying twice for it either. No sticker other than 4x4, and buy the switch later and install it. The USB dingle was $16 and the Forescan software is free and took about 30 minutes to learn. Added a couple nice features while at it, like folding mirrors when the doors are locked, transmission temps above the graph gauge, and my Sync screen comes up with GT Performance instead of F150, and disabled the 8" splash screen at start up. Also have Bambi mode where the fogs are on with high beams.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True Capabilities