General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default True 4x4

I am wondering what you guys have to offer when it comes to opinions about the best way to get true 4x4. I am mostly wondering about the rear axle. I have heard a lot about air lockers but i am 18, senior in highschool, getting married this summer, so as you can guess a little short on money. Wondering if there is anything reasonable that i could do to help out with making it more of a posi rear end. I would like to have something that would allow me to turn it on and off but if it would be cheaper to just have it full time posi than i would do that. Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004lariatkindofguy
getting married this summer, so as you can guess a little short on money.
Some advice only, at 18 don't get married!
The following 8 users liked this post by Shaggy1970:
BCMIF150 (03-28-2013), diver165 (03-30-2013), goodie85 (03-30-2013), patclarke (03-27-2013), Rlaws797 (04-07-2013), safetypin (03-28-2013), shimmer (03-31-2013), TheBigDipper (03-27-2013) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in my book 4x4 is worthless without the heavy weight of the vehicle backing it up, I need a very capable 4x4 cause where I live the roads aren't plowed and IF they are plowed the snow is banked up at intersections,,, but in my past experiences its much more about the heavy weight of the truck than it is about the 4x4 cause the compact 4x4 SUV's get stuck and hung up or tend to float over top of the snow and when I see them stuck all I see is their front wheels spinning cause the traction control always kicks in before the 4x4 .
I use my truck to haul my ATV that I use for off road, I haul my ATV in the bed, towing it is stupid when I know it fits in the bed, IF my ATV breaks down in the middle of the woods I know i have a very capiable 4x4 off road truck to drive in to get it.
Where I from everybody is Joe Dirt ,, you must prove your manhood by driving your 4x4 truck in extreme off road conditions,,,, I have a rear locker cause I intend to use it, but if you never take it off road you're just wasting your money
Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacoma
Where I from everybody is Joe Dirt ,, you must prove your manhood by driving your 4x4 truck in extreme off road conditions,,,, I have a rear locker cause I intend to use it, but if you never take it off road you're just wasting your money

Which truck is the locker in?
The following 3 users liked this post by gone postal:
jerparker1 (03-27-2013), kainedaugherty (03-27-2013), techrep (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

in my book 4x4 is worthless without the heavy weight of the vehicle backing it up, I need a very capable 4x4 cause where I live the roads aren't plowed and IF they are plowed the snow is banked up at intersections,,, but in my past experiences its much more about the heavy weight of the truck than it is about the 4x4 cause the compact 4x4 SUV's get stuck and hung up or tend to float over top of the snow and when I see them stuck all I see is their front wheels spinning cause the traction control always kicks in before the 4x4 .
I use my truck to haul my ATV that I use for off road, I haul my ATV in the bed, towing it is stupid when I know it fits in the bed, IF my ATV breaks down in the middle of the woods I know i have a very capiable 4x4 off road truck to drive in to get it.
How many of his questions did you answer? Zero, the answer is zero. Good job.
The following 3 users liked this post by Just call me Sean:
getsynyster (03-28-2013), JpEufracio (03-27-2013), nfldfordman (03-30-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004lariatkindofguy
I am wondering what you guys have to offer when it comes to opinions about the best way to get true 4x4. I am mostly wondering about the rear axle. I have heard a lot about air lockers but i am 18, senior in highschool, getting married this summer, so as you can guess a little short on money. Wondering if there is anything reasonable that i could do to help out with making it more of a posi rear end. I would like to have something that would allow me to turn it on and off but if it would be cheaper to just have it full time posi than i would do that. Thanks
Not sure what rear axle you have, so just general locker info;

most reliable selective = ARB air locker
cheaper alternative = Yukon Zip locker (air locker, just not as "proven" as ARB)

simplest = lunchbox (LockRite, Aussie, etc)

most forgiving = LSD of your choosing

Hate to sound preachy, and it has already been said but,
If you're 18, looking for "true 4x4" and getting married this summer, after finishing highschool... pick 1 of those that are really truely important, and will impact your life the most, and go with it. Then pick #2, and take some more time and make sure that's what you really need to do, then #3 and put it on the back burner as it may seem "fun" but probably won't make your life any better, and may end up costing you more money down the road.
That's not to bash your plan, but after getting this far in life, and making our own mistakes, you'll learn, eventually, that it would have been wiser to listen to our parents/elders/etc on a few occassions when we were your age.

Best of luck with school, marriage and offroading, each rewarding and at times quite fun in their own ways.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I am sooooooo happy Tacoma is back after his 2 week break!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The only reason i asked about it is because my fiance mentioned something about getting me a locker or something like that for a wedding present. What would a LSD cost compared to a air locker?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Guess you need a TACOMA for that, eh?

OH WAIT, you bought a Ruby Red F150. Where's that pic of it that you been promising for weeks?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

You mean 2 week ?

Originally Posted by Melbeachmoose20
I am sooooooo happy Tacoma is back after his 2 week break!!!

Quick Reply: True 4x4