Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issue and resolution

Old 09-24-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission issue and resolution

I've been having issues with my 2011, 5.0 screw. It started when i had my trans fluid changed.After that, it seemed to shift really hard. Brought it back, and come to findout it was a half a quart low. After, same issue was there...hard shifts, andjust acting "off". (we all know when something just isn't right).Brought it back, and they updated the trans computer. Then after about a fewweeks, it went all down hill.

The transmissionwas-
- slamming gears, to the point it felt like you weregetting rear ended,
- when pulling into a stop sign, it would wouldn't shiftfrom say 3rd to first till after you were at a dead stop and causing thevehicle to lurch forward,
-when stopped dead, the transmission would shift on itsown ...1st, 5th, 3rd, all while the speedometer was jumping all over the place
-the transmission would seem to hit the occasional deadspot, almost like an engine misfire.

I brought it in, and they had several people test driveit. I was told that th e tech that tested it said it's the weirdest test drive he'sdone in a long time. They were able to track down the issue to being thetransmission output shaft sensor. Totalcost was $1,054.As of writing this (itwas fixed 2 days ago) it seems to have solved the issue. Fingers crossed....

Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkside1k

I've been having issues with my 2011, 5.0 screw. It started when i had my trans fluid changed.After that, it seemed to shift really hard. Brought it back, and come to findout it was a half a quart low. After, same issue was there...hard shifts, andjust acting "off". (we all know when something just isn't right).Brought it back, and they updated the trans computer. Then after about a fewweeks, it went all down hill.

The transmissionwas-
- slamming gears, to the point it felt like you weregetting rear ended,
- when pulling into a stop sign, it would wouldn't shiftfrom say 3rd to first till after you were at a dead stop and causing thevehicle to lurch forward,
-when stopped dead, the transmission would shift on itsown ...1st, 5th, 3rd, all while the speedometer was jumping all over the place
-the transmission would seem to hit the occasional deadspot, almost like an engine misfire.

I brought it in, and they had several people test driveit. I was told that th e tech that tested it said it's the weirdest test drive he'sdone in a long time. They were able to track down the issue to being thetransmission output shaft sensor. Totalcost was $1,054.As of writing this (itwas fixed 2 days ago) it seems to have solved the issue. Fingers crossed....

I feel your pain.... this is what Ford says about trans maintenance.

I doubt it's much consolation but your not the 1st one that has reported trans problems after having it serviced.
The following users liked this post:
deanfx (10-04-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 52 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine's a 2010 and has been acting like that since the dealer did a trans service (recall) while the truck was in for other unrelated work. They "couldn't duplicate the problem", so it is still doing it every time I drive. Guess I need to find a different dealership that will actually try to fix it.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mike FX4
Mine's a 2010 and has been acting like that since the dealer did a trans service (recall) while the truck was in for other unrelated work. They "couldn't duplicate the problem", so it is still doing it every time I drive. Guess I need to find a different dealership that will actually try to fix it.
Maybe ask if a technician or one of the service managers can come for a ride with you? For mine, they test. Drove it with their scan tool hooked up, and we're able to read the graft... Or whatever.. For the transmission components. There was also luckily a stored code in there, even though there was no check engine light on the dash.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Does this recall cover the issue? Slightly less sever but maybe your issue is a pre-cursor...

Recall Date: APR 25, 2016
Recall Title: POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING
NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
Ford Recall Number: 16S19
Recall Description: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE AN INTERMITTENT LOSS OF THE TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR (OSS) SIGNAL TO THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE, POTENTIALLY RESULTING IN A TEMPORARY, UNINTENDED DOWNSHIFT INTO FIRST GEAR. IN SOME CASES, THE OSS SIGNAL COULD RECOVER WHILE DRIVING AND THE VEHICLE WILL RESUME NORMAL FUNCTION; IN OTHER CASES THE VEHICLE MAY NEED TO BE STOPPED AND RESTARTED TO REGAIN NORMAL TRANSMISSION OPERATION. FORD IS AWARE OF THREE REPORTS OF ACCIDENTS AND NO INJURIES RELATED TO THIS CONDITION ON THE AFFECTED VEHICLES.
Risk to Safety: DEPENDING ON VEHICLE SPEED AT THE TIME OF THE DOWNSHIFT, AN UNINTENDED DOWNSHIFT INTO FIRST GEAR MAY OCCUR CAUSING THE REAR TIRES TO SLIDE OR LOCK UP UNTIL THE VEHICLE SLOWS. THIS MAY RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMED WITH UPDATED SOFTWARE. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:59 PM

I honestly don't know. I know they updated the software on the transmission prior to all this happening
Old 10-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall # 16S19 - Unexpected downshift into 1st gear.

2011 F150 FX4. 40K miles. I'm taking my F150 to Jones-West Ford in Reno so recall # 16S19 can be applied. My understanding is it's a reprogram to the powertrain control module to 'prevent an unexpected downshift into 1st gear without warning that may cause a slide or lock in rear tires'. I CAN ONLY HOPE THAT FORD GETS THIS RIGHT! I haven't had any problems with the trannie yet and don't want any.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 PM

Have you actually got an appointment for the recall? I have been looking at the Ford site for recalls and this one is still marked "Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE."

I would certainly like to get mine done so I wasn't worrying about a downshift to 1st gear at 60 MPH!

EDIT:
Just called my local dealer and they said bring it on in and they'll reprogram it in about 3 hours. They couldn't explain why the Ford site said it wasn't available yet...

Last edited by larry2c; 10-03-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called ford (1-866-436-7332) and they told me to take my F150 to a dealer. I've contacted two dealers and I'm unsure which one to take it to. One is in Nevada and the other is northeast of my in Susanville, Ca. I've been told they will need my F150 for 4 hours - the procedure involves (reprogramming of the drive train module).
Note: I have had no problems with the transmission, ie. no symptoms described in the recall # documentation. My visit to Ford is preventative - not repair. Hope I don't break down after the reprogramming is done.

Last edited by jsea; 10-04-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 PM

[QUOTE= Hope I don't break down after the reprogramming is done.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point - I wonder if anyone has had issues after the reprogramming...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission issue and resolution