General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torx T35 Mystery Solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Torx T35 Mystery Solved

The tailgate, drop-in bedliner and bed cargo hooks on my 2012 F-150 all look like they use Torx-head bolts. From my stock of tools I was readily able to find Torx drivers for all except the bolts that hold the molded sheet of black plastic "bedliner" onto the inside of the tailgate. These appeared to be a size between T30 and T40 so I assumed that they were a size T35 and went looking for one.

I couldn't find a source at local stores or online, but I did find a number of posts of forums across the internet where people were looking for this elusive size.

The Wikipedia entry for "Torx" gave me a clue to the solution: There is a "Torx Plus" variation on the Torx standard. Searching the internet for "Torx Plus" I found some driver sets on amazon.com and bought the "CTA Tools 9605 11-Piece Torx Plus Socket Set" at this URL:

Amazon Amazon

Here's what I received:

Torx T35 Mystery Solved-torx-plus-front.jpg

Torx T35 Mystery Solved-torx-plus-back.jpg

They appear to be of high quality, and the TP27 (Torx Plus 27) size bit fits what I had thought was a T35 (Torx 35) bolt head.

IN CONCLUSION: If you find a bolt head that seems like it's size Torx-35 (T35) it's probably really a Torx Plus-27 (TP27).
The following 3 users liked this post by billf:
gone postal (07-06-2012), SUPERLOOP (07-06-2012), Swegner99 (07-06-2012)

Quick Reply: Torx T35 Mystery Solved