Default Tool help needed please!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
Ok and ?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

So I needed a circuit tester to check fuses. I need to know what is constant hot and what is switched. When I picked it up I didn't even realize it had 2 cords/alligator clips. Every circuit tester I've ever had was one wire and a probe. I need to check fuses tomorrow but don't want to open the ($30) package if it's the wrong thing. Instructions say to hook up to vehicle battery. Can I just use black clip to ground and use probe to check fuses? Bought it 25 miles from home and if it's not going to work for me, I'll have to get a different one locally and return this one at a later date.
Thanks in advance for any help!
​​​​​​​Mike
Old 08-28-2018, 08:18 PM

You bought the best tool for that you could possibly own. I have one cept it's Snap On. It's simple how it works, when you connect both those alligator clips to the battery, both red and green led's will glow dimly. that indicates an open ciruit. When you touch the probe to a ground only the green led will glow, alternatively when you touch a power circuit, only the red led will glow. That's about it.

Mine has a cigarette lighter plug on the end. I bought an extended length battery connector like the one yours has.

Regular test lights can fry sensitive electronics, that one will not.

Last edited by RLXXI; 08-28-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:25 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You bought the best tool for that you could possibly own. I have one cept it's Snap On. It's simple how it works, when you connect both those alligator clips to the battery, both red and green led's will glow dimly. that indicates an open ciruit. When you touch the probe to a ground only the green led will glow, alternatively when you touch a power circuit, only the red led will glow. That's about it.

Mine has a cigarette lighter plug on the end. I bought an extended length battery connector like the one your has.

Regular test lights can fry sensitive electronics, that one will not.
Thank You kind sir! Just what I needed to know. I was you that told me about the computer safe circuit testers back when I was wiring up lighting for my boost gauge. I just figured it would look like the others with only one wire. I tend to look at one package and pick up the other when shopping. Drives my Wife crazy!
Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
Thank You kind sir! Just what I needed to know. I was you that told me about the computer safe circuit testers back when I was wiring up lighting for my boost gauge. I just figured it would look like the others with only one wire. I tend to look at one package and pick up the other when shopping. Drives my Wife crazy!
Thanks again!
Happy to help. Oh and the real fancy ones are self powered. I had one many moons ago but dropped it then rolled over it with a customers truck. Didn't wanna shell out another $60 for a new one so I got the wired one.

Last edited by RLXXI; 08-28-2018 at 08:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
McLovin (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a power probe.
And a single wire snap on digital test light.
It looks like the one you have is very similar for a lot less $$
The following users liked this post:
McLovin (08-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Tool help needed please!