General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tonneau cover quesion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tonneau cover quesion

Iv had tri-fold covers. I like them but I got a new f250 traded the f150 in and I have a 6 3/4 bed I was looking at the Velcro bed covers anyone have one like this. pros and cons.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

The velcro closures? I've got two of them. One on the 150 is a Truxedo LoPro QT, the one on the Ranger is an Access Limited that's been there for 13 years. Zero problem with either.
When you roll the cover out, latch it over the tailgate. Then start on either side and pull it tight over the velcro, do the same on the other side. Then starting in the front, rub your hand the entire length making sure the cover is attached the whole length. Do it on the other side as well. This helps to make sure the cover isn't loose and flopping around excessively. They will still flop a little, but not like on a lesser closure. Also, make sure the fore to aft tension is adjusted correctly as well. I tighten mine on the 150 once a year, when it gets warm, and the tension stays good until I take it off in the fall.

I also use Aerospace 303 on them a couple times a year, it's a preservative fluid. Can also be used on plastic trim and tires unless you like the shiny plastic look.

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 08-21-2017 at 09:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnday in BFE:
m2mc2 (10-07-2020), Retiredguns (10-07-2020)
Old 08-21-2017, 12:58 PM
F150 Forum

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The rolling vinyl covers that are out on the market are great and work very well. What they lack in security and structural strength, they gain in water shedding ability and ease of installation. Like Johnday stated, the tensioners you need to adjust maybe once a year, and simply clean with some 303 to keep them lasting long!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Village Sociopath

Not to mention the more classic look, without the snaps.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Gator Roll Up cover and I like it. My dad has the truxedo and we both have very similar experiences to JohnDay. I dont have any issues with rain or any other water getting into the bed. Easy install, and easy to use.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Platinum Vendor

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TarheelF150
I've got the Gator Roll Up cover and I like it. My dad has the truxedo and we both have very similar experiences to JohnDay. I dont have any issues with rain or any other water getting into the bed. Easy install, and easy to use.
I used the Gator Roll Up on my personal truck for about a year. I honestly had no complaints. I have tried the hard folding covers as well. But I think Soft roll up covers is the best bang for the buck.

It ultimately comes down to what you're using the truck for. However you can never go wrong with a soft roll up.

As mentioned above they are virtually maintenance free, Stay away from silicone based products and leave them closed. They will last for years!
Old 10-07-2020, 09:22 AM

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a Bak-Flip G2 on my work truck and an Access roll-up on my personal truck. The Bak-Flip looks and works great, but if you need to fold it more than a couple times, you had better eaten your Wheaties! The Access is so simple and gives you any amount of roll back needed.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:01 AM
F150 UnruliŽ Tonneau/Box

Cody911, have you seen the new Unruli roll-up tonneau cover and tool box? It allows you to organize and store your items under the integrated roll-up tonneau cover. When you are ready to load/unload just slide the box out to the edge of the tailgate, then slide it back in. It's a new patented product.. www.stayunruli.com
Old 10-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by Unruli
Cody911, have you seen the new Unruli roll-up tonneau cover and tool box? It allows you to organize and store your items under the integrated roll-up tonneau cover. When you are ready to load/unload just slide the box out to the edge of the tailgate, then slide it back in. It's a new patented product.. www.stayunruli.com
I've never seen that before, looks like a nice product. Is it possible to have a set up where the box could be pushed all the way to the front of box?
Old 10-07-2020, 10:51 AM
F150 UnruliŽ Tonneau/Box

No, the box cannot move past the wheel wells. We would have had to make the box much smaller to get past the wheel wells. The other problem with pushing the toolbox all the way to the cab, is finding a way to retrieve it to move toward the tailgate. There would be no easy way to pull it out from that distance. The box easily removes by unscrewing u-bolts, if you need to use your entire truck bed. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (10-07-2020)