General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires vs LT tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default tires vs LT tires

My wife wants, and deserves, a new truck.

Why would we option LT tires over regular tires? The LTs are only a couple of hundred dollars more so cost isn't an issue. She does run over curbs sometimes.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

You'd typically want to use "P" rated tires if you don't really load up the truck or tow anything super heavy all the time. As the "P" stands for Passenger and usually means a comfortable ride with less aggressive treads and less capabilities of being able to withstand heavy cargo or trailers. LT is "light truck" tires and are usually more aggressive in tread and are capable of carrying heavy loads all the time, and wouldn't wear as easily as would passenger tires if they were used for towing or carrying cargo. SO generally yeah, LT tires are more expensive because of this.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by phillippeterson
deserves
WOW.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

What a vague post.

So, by "new truck" do you mean that you're buying a brand new truck for her? Or a new to her used truck that needs new tires? You cannot "option" LT tires on a new one unless you order the HD payload package, which I would not do if I were you because then you get stuck with 7 lug bastard axles.

LT tires - Heavier, more expensive, still prone to punctures and failures, deeper tread, usually don't have a tread life warranty, ride stiffer, lower MPGs.

P tires - Have more load capacity than a LT-C tire, comfortable ride, cheaper to purchase, usually come with a tread life warranty, better MPGs, shallow tread blocks, many times have silica compound that's safer in rain and snow.

I always run P tires. I've been stranded once in my 21 years of driving because of a tire, and it was a LT tire.

If she's "running over curbs" then a full size truck is probably not the best choice. Just sayin'...
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
If she's "running over curbs" then a full size truck is probably not the best choice. Just sayin'...
I would think "running over curbs" in a full size truck would be better than with a civic lol
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 52 Likes on 52 Posts

Get her a Raptor. The curbs won't be a problem anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Apples (04-17-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:20 PM
RBA

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
What a vague post.

So, by "new truck" do you mean that you're buying a brand new truck for her? Or a new to her used truck that needs new tires? You cannot "option" LT tires on a new one unless you order the HD payload package, which I would not do if I were you because then you get stuck with 7 lug bastard axles.

LT tires - Heavier, more expensive, still prone to punctures and failures, deeper tread, usually don't have a tread life warranty, ride stiffer, lower MPGs.

P tires - Have more load capacity than a LT-C tire, comfortable ride, cheaper to purchase, usually come with a tread life warranty, better MPGs, shallow tread blocks, many times have silica compound that's safer in rain and snow.

I always run P tires. I've been stranded once in my 21 years of driving because of a tire, and it was a LT tire.

What a one sided and biased comparison...geez...at least try to be factual.

To the original poster, please don't listen to this post.

Generally speaking LT rated tires have a higher load rating (nobody buys a C rated LT) and stiffer sidewalls because of extra reinforcement. That extra reinforcement makes then less susceptible to sidewall punctures. That's why guys who go offroad demand "LT" rated tires. You can still get a warrant. There are negatives, a rougher ride is probably the biggest because of the extra weight and stiffer sidewalls.
phillippeterson (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Agreed about being generally more resistant to puncture...

I buy LT tires because a 10 ply tire seems to hold up better from punctures after thousands of miles on hard, rocky roads... they all seem to wear fast on gravel but I think that is improved in some LT's as well.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:39 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

When using P-metric tires on a pickup, the load rating printed on the tire is reduced by 9%.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:29 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Also if you ever pursue larger tires (33"+) you are generally limited to LT only.

Stick with P in stock size if a more comfortable ride is preferred.
phillippeterson (04-14-2017)