Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires Tires and More Tires!!!! Best Brands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires Tires and More Tires!!!! Best Brands?

While I don't post here much I do lurk a bit. I post more on mustang sites as my truck is basically stock and my stang is NOT. I am on my 2nd f150 and my 3rd set of Hankooks between the 2 trucks. I have to say I like them. My current is a 2017 Platty FX4 with the 275/55/20 stock AT tires. I am 47k in and they have been great. Bought two sets for my 2011 f150 and had great results with them as well.

Here is the problem. DT just informed me that it has Hankook has discontinued the tire. It has been pushed down to a different rubber and from a different vendor. While DT thinks they can still find a set, it won't be long until you will not able to find them. This would be a problem if I get a nail at 10k miles and need to find a replacement. Then I'm replacing all 4 way too early. I drive too many miles to not have matching tires. I don't even like having different miles on my tires.

What I'm looking for is brand feedback. What have you been using and how do you like them. I am sticking with at least an AT as I do about 5-10% of my driving off road in west Texas and the panhandle at oil fields. So I would love to get some good info on brands like Nitto/BFG/Goodyear and so on. I honestly don't spend a ton of time looking at truck tires because I spend more time playing with the Mustang. Oh and the limited exp I'm had with Michelin truck tires was not very good. Wore out way too quickly (25-27k) considering they are a competitor to the Hankooks. Tho, on the Stang I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and they are the best road tire I've ever owned. So please don't think I'm bashing on the French too much.

Last, I have considered doing a leveling kit with 33's but that would also have to include having my doors and maybe my floor dynomatted. I do too many long road trips to listen to the tires the entire trip and this would add about $1.5k to the job. I'm not totally against it but right now it's not my first choice.

So please....let me know what you think. Big factors are miles and noise. Looks and price are lower down the list.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

This is an excellent resource Tire Rack.com for researching tires. You can look up by type of tire, SUV, Pickup, high performance, etc. All consumer rated and categorized. Ratings for “noise, wet traction, dry traction, ride comfort and so on. It is worth checking out.

Disclaimer note. I am not in any way affiliated with this website or brands represented there.
The following users liked this post:
idrive (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:40 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

The folks that leave an opinion have most likely not tried every tire worth considering. While some will like one tire over another there are not too many tires anymore that are not at least decent. Trying to find one that fits your criteria is what it's all about.

Having said that the suggestion to check out the reviews on Tire Rack is a very good suggestion. Lets you decide on the tire(s) that would work best for you with the feedback you're looking for.

I've had very good luck with all the tires I've purchased for my trucks over the years. Several I could recommend but still doesn't mean they're the best tire for you.

Best of luck. Curious what you decide on.

And... 33's will not require a level in order to fit unless you go super wide, ex.315's
Old 01-29-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

My experience with my truck and its tires.
* Came with Goodyear Wranglers - what a joke. Got 30k miles out of them. Never again.
* Put 325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on stock rims - put 55k miles on them, and still sold them for $100. I really was impressed with these tires. Not very loud at all, and did well offroad.
* Replaced those with the same size, Terra Grappler G2s - they changed the sidewall design, and a little bit of the tread pattern. I am on track to put 55k to 60k on these as well.
I was always a fan of the BFG All Terrains, back in the day. Used to put a ton of miles on them. Buddy of mine got 80k out of a set of them on a 2500 gmc. Something changed with the rubber compound years ago, and they wear like erasers now. They also changed the sidewall design, and jacked the price of them super high.
michaelweez (07-07-2020)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 PM
The Hammer

Received 300 Likes on 158 Posts

I've always used either Cooper ATPs or I am currently running a set of Cooper AT3 XLTs. Both of them are quiet on the road, grip everything I ever need them to, and look good. Much lower price than the BFGs and Nittos these days. Plus, I always get 50-60K out of them.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Atturo Trailblade XT. Check the reviews and look at the sidewall. Sidewall design after Quater Master knives out of Tx.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Ford Accessories Manager

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm sure we've got tons of threads you can find for tire reviews if you do a search.

That said, I use all kinds of different tires on builds we do, and get to try them out on occasion, and receive lots of feedback from my customers. Here are the ones I've found to last the longest, as well as offer the best value and performance (in no particular order). These are all aggressive looking all terrains that are quiet.
Nitto Ridge Grappler (nice thing about these is they come in 4 ply which won't hurt your fuel economy), Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3, BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (snowflake rated, if that's important to you), GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac (4 ply available, and snowflake rated), Falken Wildpeak AT3W (snowflake rated).

33's will fit without a level, as mentioned ... that's only an inch bigger than stock tire height. It's once you get into the really wide sizes or rims with aggressive offsets, that you have to lift the front end up a bit.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:02 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Cooper Discoverer AT3 for AT's.

Michelin LTX for highway all seasons.

Firestone Winterforce if you want a dedicated winter tire on an extra set of wheels.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran Michelin LTX on both my 02 and 13 F-150’s and was happy with the wear on them. On the 02. I had to replace them due to age although they had about 70K on them. When the Hankooks wear out, Michelin’s will be going on it.
Old Grey Mule (02-01-2019)
Old 03-09-2020, 01:42 PM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I am a big Michelin tire fan. I run them on everything I own.
I have a 2000 Nissan Xteraa with 210,000 miles on it. The Michelin tires LTX M/S tires on it are 11 years old (no longer even available) and have about 48,000 on them. I took it to a tire shop recently to have the aluminum rims swapped out for steel rims (aluminum rims were always leaking air). The guy commented on their age saying that the LTX M/S tires were nearly indestructible... Of course he recommended I immediately replace them...

On the other hand, my 2018 F-150 only has 22,000 miles on a set of Ford OEM Michelin Premier LTX tires in 275/55/R20 and they are almost worn out though the have a 60,000 mile wear out life according to Michelin!

So I went looking for tires on the Michelin web site. The web site says the Premier LTX tires will not fit my truck! Too funny...
They of course recommended the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Those or the Cooper AT3 XLT are the two tires I am looking at in a few more thousand miles. I like that the Coopers have a load range E which is an advantage when towing which I do a lot of.

Quick Reply: Tires Tires and More Tires!!!! Best Brands?