Tires - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Tires

Hello this is my first time using the forum so not real sure of the protocols but I'm shopping for tires for a 2016 platinum. The truck came with Hankook Dynapro A1M 275/55R20. Ive gotten 49k from these tires and have been generally pleased with the ride and noise. I live in the northeast and rarely tow anything or carry heavy loads. looking for a smooth ride with minimal road noise that can handle the winter weather as well?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 AM

If you want a tire that handles well in winter you will need a seperate set of dedicated winter tires.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:05 PM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMAC01 View Post
Hello this is my first time using the forum so not real sure of the protocols but I'm shopping for tires for a 2016 platinum. The truck came with Hankook Dynapro A1M 275/55R20. Ive gotten 49k from these tires and have been generally pleased with the ride and noise. I live in the northeast and rarely tow anything or carry heavy loads. looking for a smooth ride with minimal road noise that can handle the winter weather as well?
I have these same HanKook tires on my new Platinum. Have only 700 miles so far but am impressed with the wet and dry traction and how quiet they are. I am glad to hear you got 49K on yours and they remained quiet.

I have always had Michelins and was going to replace the Hankooks if I did not like, but looks like I will get some wear out of them!
Old 09-11-2018, 10:33 AM

Falken Wildpeaks AT3; One of the few that are a snow rated tire with minimal road noise and wear and great on dry/wet pavement.
The Following User Says Thank You to baller32 For This Useful Post:
seventyeight (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Recently put some 275-60/20 Yokohama YK-HTX's on, like them so far

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/yk-htx

I put YK740 GTX on the wife's Civic last year and they've been great, even in the snow.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by baller32 View Post
Falken Wildpeaks AT3; One of the few that are a snow rated tire with minimal road noise and wear and great on dry/wet pavement.
I see also they are load range C which is exactly what I want - this very well may be my next tire.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by seventyeight View Post
If you want a tire that handles well in winter you will need a seperate set of dedicated winter tires.
I disagree with this.

Went with the goodyear trail runner AT for my winter wheels and they perform amazing. Rarely need 4x4, and I've driven in some pretty nasty storms. Can't even go do donuts in a parking lot without them catching and having to give it more gas for them to break loose. Hell even my Toyo MT's did pretty well when I was driving through a storm in New Hampshire (they were brand new at the time). Dedicated snow tires are a waste for most climates, especially the North East when it's somewhat common to have some warm days in the winter that are warmer than the tires are rated for. If you want a daily driver tire thats also good for winter, AT's are the way to go.

Also, on my dad's truck, he had the cheapest all seasons you can get and was pushing heavy, wet snow up a pretty steel hill in 2wd with ease.

OP, I'm from the north east too, and I highly recommend these https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...BBCardTireName

For longevity I cant speak for them as I have only used them for the winter, but if they're anything like my OEM goodyear AT/s I'll be happy. Got 60k out of them
Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 AM

After

Before

After

Before
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM
2015 F150 PLATNIUM Anch

I'm in Anchorage Ak , on my second set of hankooks , all in all I'm very satisfied
Old 09-14-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by kbrock View Post
I disagree with this.

Went with the goodyear trail runner AT for my winter wheels and they perform amazing. Rarely need 4x4, and I've driven in some pretty nasty storms. Can't even go do donuts in a parking lot without them catching and having to give it more gas for them to break loose. Hell even my Toyo MT's did pretty well when I was driving through a storm in New Hampshire (they were brand new at the time). Dedicated snow tires are a waste for most climates, especially the North East when it's somewhat common to have some warm days in the winter that are warmer than the tires are rated for. If you want a daily driver tire thats also good for winter, AT's are the way to go.

Also, on my dad's truck, he had the cheapest all seasons you can get and was pushing heavy, wet snow up a pretty steel hill in 2wd with ease.

OP, I'm from the north east too, and I highly recommend these https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...BBCardTireName

For longevity I cant speak for them as I have only used them for the winter, but if they're anything like my OEM goodyear AT/s I'll be happy. Got 60k out of them
ATs (and, I would expect, to some extent, MTs) will work fine in fresh snow and soft snow. In some situations, they'll outperform a true winter tire in those conditions. However, it's packed snow and ice that have historically made dedicated winter tires stand out. The AT tires I run in the spring, summer and fall do not hold a candle to my Nokians on packed snow. Given that I was in Montana last winter, I can't speak to straight-up ice, but I'm sure I'll find out at some point this winter now that I'm back in Maine.

Some of the newest generation of AT tires that are 3PMSF-rated may have sufficient advances in compound to handle that, but I've not seen any independent testing to confirm (or deny) that. In the Goodyear line, the Duratracs are 3PMSF-rated, and the Trail Runners are not.

Also, unrelated, I find it kind of creepy that I can enter my license plate and state on the Goodyear site and it looks up the truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to kbroderick For This Useful Post:
seventyeight (09-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: