Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire comparison-BFG KO2 vs. Toyo OC

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:49 PM
DM6

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Tire comparison-BFG KO2 vs. Toyo OC

I did lots of research on tires when I first bought my truck in 2016, and the overwhelming choice was BFG KO2 to be installed on my first set of custom Mayhem wheels. Loved them. As I turned 50K miles recently, I started looking for my next set, and was interested in moving up to 35", mostly to fill out the wheel well a little better. Yeah, basically for looks. My coworker strongly recommended the Toyo Open Country. Got the Toyos installed and have put about 3K on them. I will spare you all a long read and just lay out the pros and cons. Spoiler alert: BFG KO2 wins, hands down. I know this is not apples to apples with the size change, but there are some major differences I have experienced.
BFG KO2 33"
Pros
Smooth ride
Quiet
Unreal ability to maintain 75 mph through driving rain storm with NO hydroplaning
Comfortable
Steering feels tight and nimble
Slightly better MPG than 35" (14.5-15 mpg)
Cons
Tires slip/spinout from a dead stop on moist pavement
Looks a little bit small in the wheel well

Toyo Open Country 35"
Pros

Softer, slightly more comfortable ride than KO2
Better traction from a stop
Fills wheel well nicely
Cons
Much more noisy than KO2
Steering and handling is very sloppy. Feels like the truck could tip over with a strong wind!
Bad hydroplaning experienced at speeds as low as 40 mph in moderate rain
Slightly worse MPG than 33" (13-14 mpg)

Now, I understand the increase in sidewall height will change the dynamics of the steering and suspension. BUT WOW. I never imagined such drastic changes could occur like this! I will be anxiously awaiting my next set of tires for the next two-plus years: 33" BFG KO2!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently purchased some Kumho P275/60/R20. After a few thousand miles of driving these seem to be good tires. No hydroplaning as I was driving about 5 hours in extremely hard rains which varied to sprinkles. Wet traction was impressive. Smooth, comfortable ride, good traction on and off road. By off road I mean light and easy stuff, not Mud-boggin rock crawlin' off road. Good choice for the price point.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:54 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Toyo oc's are decent tires but highly overrated, not to mention heavier than hell.
I've ran both also along with the toyo Mt's RT's.. still prefer the ko2's

Quick Reply: Tire comparison-BFG KO2 vs. Toyo OC