Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing help

Old 11-04-2014, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing help

I took out the rear timing chain on my 4.0 engine. (Explorer 2001 4x4). The cam did move during this process. Now I can't get any compression on #1 cylinder. Dont know how to set the camshaft. So I can locate #1 cylinder on the compression stroke. Any help PLEASE.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by smithmi
I took out the rear timing chain on my 4.0 engine. (Explorer 2001 4x4). The cam did move during this process. Now I can't get any compression on #1 cylinder. Dont know how to set the camshaft. So I can locate #1 cylinder on the compression stroke. Any help PLEASE.
Unfortunately there are a couple special tools required to set the cams and crankshaft where they need to be, you have no doubt already figured out there is no key way on the cam.

Without those tools you will not be able to set it properly, that engine is an interference engine meaning if you don't get the cam set properly you will bend valves the first time you try to crank the engine up.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

Thank you Rnlcomp.

.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-05-2014, 08:35 PM
imp

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, you CAN set the cam timing in the right place without special tools. I saw a pic or two showing it in an Explorer forum. If I can find it, I'll come back with the post. imp

edit: Try this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=287416

Last edited by imp; 11-05-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by imp
Actually, you CAN set the cam timing in the right place without special tools. I saw a pic or two showing it in an Explorer forum. If I can find it, I'll come back with the post. imp

That would be an impossibility on that engine, German designed 4.0 SOHC engine cams don't have key way's or splines, the gear is press fit on a tapered design meaning only the torque of the bolt holding it to the cam keeps it in time. (poor design)

Maybe you're thinking of the 4.0 over head valve Ford engine, that is just like a small block chevy or any other pushrod type engine.

Or maybe you saw where someone tied the cam gear and chain together to keep the chain from dropping down inside the block.

I would love to see how setting the cam timing without those tools is performed.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by imp

edit: Try this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=287416

Just as I suspected, you didn't read the article, he not only mentions the special tools required several times but even posted a picture of them in this post, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...38&postcount=9

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing help