Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
F150 Life

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Ticking Noise

Looking at an 06 f-150 thats for sale. The guy that is selling it claims there is a ticking noise and has taken it to a mechanic. The response was it was the Cam "phaser" and something to do with the timing belt. He said it would cost anywhere between $1000-$1500 to fix.. anyone had issues that can confirm how much it would cost to fix something like this?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by americanford89
Looking at an 06 f-150 thats for sale. The guy that is selling it claims there is a ticking noise and has taken it to a mechanic. The response was it was the Cam "phaser" and something to do with the timing belt. He said it would cost anywhere between $1000-$1500 to fix.. anyone had issues that can confirm how much it would cost to fix something like this?
Traded in my 05 5.4L because of a ticking that was there since new and got louder and louder till I traded it at 76,000. I had it to Ford 4 times while under the 36,000 mile warranty, every time they told me its fine, it's normal. My mechanic said it was probably a valve or lifter. Never had it fixed and Ford didn't question it when I traded it in. Not much help to you but just figured I would share because I heard of that problem a few times with that engine.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds so familiar. I'm having the same problem. I called ford customer care and asked if there is a recall for this. So many people with the same problems. They told me to encourage people to call and complain. Enough complaints will benefit us all. 18003923673 please call
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4 2011

Traded in my 05 5.4L because of a ticking that was there since new and got louder and louder till I traded it at 76,000. I had it to Ford 4 times while under the 36,000 mile warranty, every time they told me its fine, it's normal. My mechanic said it was probably a valve or lifter. Never had it fixed and Ford didn't question it when I traded it in. Not much help to you but just figured I would share because I heard of that problem a few times with that engine.

How many miles do you guys change oil. the phaser issue would probably be less of an issue from a "religious " 3ooo mile oil change - also will put less time on questionable oil filters as well - because it's been noted using oil filters other than filters with the quality made anti drain back valves ( such as motor craft) could clog oil galleys leading to phaser issues ( from deteriorated drain back valves getting stuck up there) -
Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 PM
wow

I have an 02 with a 54. I change oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles with new filter each time. It has 180,000 on it and has never ticked. Runs like new still. Original A/C compressor, alternater, water pump, and everything else. I am knocking on wood as I post. It has been a Great Truck!!!
Will Walker
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Cam phasers are pretty common on newer 3 valve 5.4's. Easy way to tell is to start it cold. If it "rattles" for 2-8 seconds upon startup, it's the timing chain tensioners bleeding down, and/or non factory oil filter that lets the oil drain back into the pan. Phasers start making noise around 140 degree coolant temp when the pcm begins to activate it's advance/retard program. Some light noise is normal, and per Ford is not detrimental, but if it sounds like a diesel, it's time. Bit of a bear to do, you would need a basic tool set, vibration dampner puller, torque wrench, and a special service tool that locks the phaser for bolt removal, and more important torquing the new torque to yield bolt supplied with the new phaser. Oh yea plenty of patience. In my experience, I've not had to replace the chains, but have found almost all tensioner oil seals between the block and tensioner have failed. Cheap insurance to replace the two tensioners and phasers at the same time. In one extreme case the right phaser failed, took out the cam sensor, and upon disassembly, the cam key was worn so bad it needed a cam. Weakest spot on these engines, well besides stuck spark plugs, but have seen many with over 200k still running fine. Take it to an independent shop for a diag, or if you remove the oil filler cap and use a flashlight to look inside, and see sludge best pass on this one.

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise