General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkng of buying a F150...have some ?'s re aluminum body and ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Thinkng of buying a F150...have some ?'s re aluminum body and ecoboost

Ok im thinking of looking for a 2013 0r 2014 King ranch 4x4 or Lariat due to wanting the steel body, also looking for the 5l V8 because of not knowing much about the Ecoboost. Now that said I cant find what im looking for near me. Talked to a Ford tech the other day and he said " don't worry about the aluminum body we are not seeing issues as of yet...and the EcoBoost is a great engine if you do your oil changes and use good oil.
Now im not going to be doing a lot of towing if any...but im the guy that keeps his cars for 200k
Thoughts or experiences ?
Thx and great site !!

PS I was looking at the GM trucks too but don't like the looks and that 5.3 seems to have issues too
Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I personally went out of my way to get the aluminum body. Weight is hard to cut and this was an easy way to cut hundreds of pounds off. I wanted better MPG and a zippier truck. I am not racing and have no interest in that stuff but I do appreciate a quick truck that can pass better and have a little fun too. I am sure it is a little bit weaker, and easier to dent than steel, but that comes with benefits like lighter and less corrosion/rust. Crash ratings were the same I believe (great for a full sized truck).

All of the engine choices are good, but I would say the earlier ecoboosts (11-16) 3.5l were a little more problem-some. I had one for 25kish miles and had no problems but they did have a few. You may be better served by the 5.0 if you want simplicity and reliability without worrying or fiddling with anything.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Ecoboost is a great engine, but I would not own one out of warranty. If you want it for 200K, get the V8. And don't worry about the aluminum.
The following users liked this post:
gregsf150stx (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:53 AM
El Borracho

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Van
Ok im thinking of looking for a 2013 0r 2014 King ranch 4x4 or Lariat due to wanting the steel body, also looking for the 5l V8 because of not knowing much about the Ecoboost. Now that said I cant find what im looking for near me. Talked to a Ford tech the other day and he said " don't worry about the aluminum body we are not seeing issues as of yet...and the EcoBoost is a great engine if you do your oil changes and use good oil.
Now im not going to be doing a lot of towing if any...but im the guy that keeps his cars for 200k
Thx and great site !!

PS I was looking at the GM trucks too but don't like the looks and that 5.3 seems to have issues too
Welcome..
I am also new to Ford but I have relatives and friends who own them. From what I observed, if you plan to keep the truck for 200k miles, hands down get the 5.0.
Remember, maintenance is the key.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Van
Thx and great site !!

I got my '17 xlt with 3.5 EB in July. I compared Chevy and toyota. I felt Ford had the best configuration and value for me. So far I love it. The fuel economy is amazing compared to my old 5.4L and compared to my co workers Chevy and Dodge trucks. I have a 4000lb trailer I pull in the summer and it does great. I like the 10 spd tranny but I find the standard shifting make it lug around 1000 rpm too much. So I drive in sport mode or tow / haul mode most of them time. I also live in a very hilly city so the quicker gear changes are necessary for me. If you are on mostly flat or small hill I'm sure it's not a problem.

I have a couple scratches in the body already but I'm hard on trucks, being in construction doesn't help. No worse than my '08 f150 with steel body I'd say.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:00 PM
2018 XL Sport 4x4

Received 199 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dajohu
I personally went out of my way to get the aluminum body. Weight is hard to cut and this was an easy way to cut hundreds of pounds off. I wanted better MPG.....
Me too, I purposely wanted our new F150 because of the Aluminum Alloy...
The following users liked this post:
UncleG (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:13 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

Yes, we all need to get used to saying Aluminum Alloy. It's not like it is soft like a beer can. Get the 5.0.

Quick Reply: Thinkng of buying a F150...have some ?'s re aluminum body and ecoboost